PDA

View Full Version : Rivet question

PH4
05-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Any suggestions for a rivet gun? I received my rivets from our host and promptly went to Lowes and purchased a $20 rivet gun made by Arrow that did not pull the rivet through and the gun broke after 3 tries. I would not think the rivets supplied by our host would need a specific rivet gun but enlighten me if I am wrong. Advice appreciated.

SafeAirOne
05-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Any suggestions for a rivet gun? I received my rivets from our host and promptly went to Lowes and purchased a $20 rivet gun made by Arrow that did not pull the rivet through and the gun broke after 3 tries. I would not think the rivets supplied by our host would need a specific rivet gun but enlighten me if I am wrong. Advice appreciated.

What do mean by "rivet gun"? Are you referring to a pneumatic rivet hammer to set driven rivets or a rivet puller to install blind (pop) rivets?

Presumably you refer to blind rivets. Which blind rivets are you pulling (what material)? Aluminum blind rivets should be pulled pretty easily with the cheaper rivet pullers. If the rivets are stainless or plain steel, or the mandrel is steel, you might need a puller with better jaws. If the rivets are specialty rivets, you may need a specialty puller, though those types of rivets aren't usually found in automotive applications.

Either way, I'd take the puller back to Lowe's and exchange it--You may have a defective one.

jac04
05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
IIRC, most of the rivets sold by our hosts are aluminum with a steel mandrel. These can be a PITA to install with a regular manual rivet gun. My wife purchased a really nice Craftsman rivet gun for me, and I still have a tough time installing steel-mandrel rivets (you need to squeeze the handels together VERY hard).
You can check out McMaster Carr for all types of rivet guns - some have extended handles to make installation easier.

LaneRover
05-29-2010, 08:43 PM
The Lowe's/ Home Depot rivet guns do not work well with the Rivets from our hosts.

Get a BIGGER manly rivet gun, the one I have has handles that are 1 1/2 to 2 ft long.

thixon
05-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I've never bought rivets from our host, so I'm not up to speed on anatomy of what you bought. However...if the mandrels are in fact steel, as some have suggested, you're gonna tear up a bunch of arrow rivet guns trying to install rivets on your truck. Also, your hands are gonna hurt really really bad if you manage to finish the job. Either go to a different rivet, or get a differet gun. The nicer mechanical guns have longer handles and better jaws. You're best option is to buy a pneumatic gun. Expensive, but you could probably sell it to someone on this board when your done.

I Leak Oil
05-30-2010, 06:44 AM
I've been using a Stanley mechanical rivet gun for 13+ years now and it's still going strong. I've installed hundreds of rivets, regular aluminum, steel and high strength aluminum. No issues. A pneumatic rivet gun is nice but because of it's bulk you can't always get it into tight places. If you plan on doing a lot of riveting then get both. If you're only getting one then get a hand operated riveter.

TedW
05-30-2010, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=PH4;52333]Any suggestions for a rivet gun? QUOTE]

This is what you want:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0120255&ucst=t

The Marson "Big Daddy". Shop around and expect to pay about $100.00.

I went through a bunch of Arrow -type riveters before buying one of these - Grainger had a good price at the time.

This riveter is the cat's whiskers: mucho leverage makes handling those beefy Land-Rover sealed rivets a piece o' cake. I replaced all of the galvy trim on my truck and couldn't have done it properly without my "Big Daddy." And my pneumatic riveter, of course.

bkreutz
05-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Marson makes some good stuff, I've been using one of their smaller non pneumatic models for over 20 years. I did have to get the "Big Daddy" a while back when I was working at a Ford dealer, they (in their wisdom:D) decided that the door lock motors should be installed with a giant rivet into the door frame. I don't use it often, but it is handy but a bit bulky to use. Considering the forces involved with blind rivets, buying the best you can find is probably the way to go.

kevkon
05-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I've been using a Stanley mechanical rivet gun for 13+ years now and it's still going strong. I've installed hundreds of rivets, regular aluminum, steel and high strength aluminum. No issues. A pneumatic rivet gun is nice but because of it's bulk you can't always get it into tight places. If you plan on doing a lot of riveting then get both. If you're only getting one then get a hand operated riveter.

Ditto here with the Marson 3900 which is like the OLD Stanley ( when Stanley still cared about quality). No problem with any rivet up to 3/16" shank.

NickDawson
05-30-2010, 11:33 AM
I tried the arrow and had a similar reaction - it didn't work.
I bought this stanly off amazon and have been very happy with it
http://amzn.to/bj0E7R

JimC
05-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Yes, as others have mentioned, the OEM rivits have steel mandrels.

I bought a "nutdrill" from McMaster for 50 or 60 bucks and used it to install all 100+ body rivits in my 110. It is just an attachment that you chuck into your drill. Its nice because when using a good high-torque drill with a cord, you get lots of control over the speed of the installation, and you don't get the "jump" when the mandrel breaks like happens sometimes with a hand gun.

PH4
05-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will purchase a more heavy duty one.