PDA

View Full Version : Paint Question

bkreutz
05-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Sometimes I feel like an archaeologist when taking apart old vehicles:confused:. I've been removing lights the last couple of days and I ran into an interesting situation (at least to me) At some point early in it's life, my S3 was painted red, the information I got from the database says it was originally Marine Blue, the interior, under the bonnet, and other places where the crummy red is flaking off is Marine Blue. But...under the front park and side marker lights I found what I assume is Limestone. From what I can determine from the engine bay and the wing bolts, it sure looks like the wings have never been off since new. My first assumption is that both the front wings were replaced at some point, but thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone has heard of some kind of weird color scheme where the wings would be a different color than the rest of the vehicle? Not that it matters much in the end since it will eventually be painted Marine Blue, but it does raise some interesting musings. Oh, and the breakfast is blue as well (at least under the red:D)

mrdoiron
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Sometimes I feel like an archaeologist when taking apart old vehicles:confused:. I've been removing lights the last couple of days and I ran into an interesting situation (at least to me) At some point early in it's life, my S3 was painted red, the information I got from the database says it was originally Marine Blue, the interior, under the bonnet, and other places where the crummy red is flaking off is Marine Blue. But...under the front park and side marker lights I found what I assume is Limestone. From what I can determine from the engine bay and the wing bolts, it sure looks like the wings have never been off since new. My first assumption is that both the front wings were replaced at some point, but thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone has heard of some kind of weird color scheme where the wings would be a different color than the rest of the vehicle? Not that it matters much in the end since it will eventually be painted Marine Blue, but it does raise some interesting musings. Oh, and the breakfast is blue as well (at least under the red:D)

Really too bad there isnt a mandatory history passed along with these...i heard there is a better historical geneology paassed along with vehicle in Mexico...
Could be Marine blue was its most recent color, and limestone original color. Seems they were not consistent on removal of h/w and lights through the processes; or the panels come from different vehicles over time. I would pop off an top capping to see what is there if you are most curious... as long as you can rivot it back. Not a dual color scheme I know of, unless a one off special...

scott
05-29-2010, 06:18 PM
my guess... a marine blue truck gets its wings beat up then replaced with a pair of limestone ones then the whole thing painted red

bkreutz
05-29-2010, 07:06 PM
That's what I'm thinking too, the thing that's puzzling is that I bought it from the original owner and have all the records, plus the wing attachment bolts look untouched to me, still have the Marine blue paint on them:confused: It did have a plow bracket on the front, maybe he hit a snowdrift too hard once.:eek:. I had a similar quandary on an old Willys that had a factory punched hole in the dash that no one had ever seen before, never did figure out what it was for.