PDA

View Full Version : Any MGAs or MGBs?

Apis Mellifera
05-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Anyone have an MGA or MGB? I've just finished pulling the engine from my MGA. What started as a clogged fuel filter has moved to a complete engine rebuild. Unfortunately, I've found the head cracked and a cracked piston. Ideally I'd find a cheap running 3 main MGB engine or at least an MGA head. I'm also restoring a Bugeye Sprite and my Series III needs a new frame. Not a good time for an unexpected engine rebuild. Anyone have MGA or early MGB (pre '68) parts? I have a complete Series overdrive for trade if that sweetens the deal.

Thanks,
Matt

thixon
05-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Matt,

I may have you covered. I'm definately interested in the overdrive. Which one is it?

Apis Mellifera
05-29-2010, 08:43 PM
It's a Toro. I have some pictures here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v307/dandomatic2/

What do you have? A Gold Seal 3 Main MGB engine still in the crate I hope?

thixon
05-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Matt,

I can get ahold of either the head, or the complete motor. Also, you can put an MGB head on the MGA motor. Let me know what you're after, I can source either one. A buddy has both, and another buddy has about 25 B motors at his place. None are rebuilt, but they all came out of running cars. If you really want a rebuilt motor, obviously I'd be willing to rebuild one for you. Heck, long story short, just give the specifics, and I can help you with it.

gudjeon
05-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I have a little lucas starter for one of those. You know the kind that look just like the Rover one, but a bit smaller. You can have it for postage if you want. Its going to go on ebay otherwise. I am going to test it out tomorrow.:thumb-up:

Apis Mellifera
05-30-2010, 06:36 AM
Travis:

The best solution for me is to find a running 18G MGB engine. Preferably one that doesn't have a cracked head and a worn out camshaft. Being a 3 main engine like the 1500cc MGA engine, it would plug right in. I'd need the flywheel for the 3 main MGB also (not really, but it would save me having to have the 28# MGA flywheel lightened).

The next best solution is to find a 15 or 16 head from an MGA.

If that doesn't happen, I'd need an MGB L head from a 72-74 car. I'd put that on the 18V 5 main MGB engine I have and make it fit in the MGA.

With a mishmash of parts, I hope to get a running car with a little more power so the SUVs won't run into the back of me on the way to work because the old car can't do 0-60 in 7 nanoseconds. Anyway, I really appreciate the help. I've had this MGA since I was 14 and it pains me to see it all torn apart.

gudjeon:
How much for postage to 25177 (St. Albans, WV)

Thanks,
Matt

siiirhd88
05-30-2010, 08:49 AM
There are different transmission input shaft diameters used with later MGB engines. From (at least) 1968 up, the input shaft diameter is larger, so to use the later engine you will need a crank pilot bushing sized to the smaller inside diameter of the MGA trans. I can't remember when the diameter of the input shaft changed, maybe in mid '65 when the 5 main bearing engine came out. Also, the 5 main bearing engines don't have provision for the cable driven mechanical tachometer.

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

and

'71 TR6
'68 Spridget
'67 AH 3000 BJ8
'58 TR3

Apis Mellifera
05-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Yes, I'll have to make a pilot bearing if I use the 18V engine. I'll also have to have the MGA rear engine plate worked on to fit the 5 main MGB engine. You can use an MGB Electric tach from a 65-67 car. All this is unnecessary if you can find a 3 Main engine.