PDA

View Full Version : RHD speedometer cable?

2manykids4a7
05-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Since I am ordering a new carb I thought I may get the parts for another problem while I am at it.

The connector on my speedometer cable broke, got it fixed with glue and tape but it has gone again, so figured if I was paying for shipping I may as well pick up a new one. Started searching, found one for $20 (Atlantic British, where I was intending to get my Zenith carb), thought I'd check our hosts and find out that they list 2 cables one of which is labeled as RHD (and costs $80, $20 more than the LHD one!). I have a RHD Series III so am I stuck ordering the $80 cable? I know I could wait until Tuesday when everyone is open again and call but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

So what's the deal, does anyone know? I guess that the length is different depending on the set up. Has anyone done this replacement?

Thanks, Steve..

P.S. I did enjoy this as a reason to replace the cable. "A broken speedometer not only risks not passing inspection, it risks an expensive speeding ticket as well. We've got just the replacement you need at a great price." I don't know that I have ever been in danger of an expensive speeding ticket in my rover!

Jim-ME
05-30-2010, 07:26 AM
My only thought would be longer length but I'm just guessing.
Jim

scott
05-30-2010, 09:02 AM
the speedos are located in the same place. the trannies are too. why would they not be the same. could it be the iiis? aren't their instruments straddling the steering column?

SafeAirOne
05-30-2010, 09:13 AM
the speedos are located in the same place. the trannies are too. why would they not be the same. could it be the iiis? aren't their instruments straddling the steering column?

No---the Series III is a modern vehicle--It has the instrument cluster in front of the driver. ;)

Incidentally, when one does a google search for part number 90623054, there are listings for RHD, LHD and both LHD and RHD compatible cables using the same p/n.

2manykids4a7
05-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one for whom this caused a raised eyebrow.

Mark, great idea (the simple ones are always the best, why didn't I think of it, duh!) to search using the part number. I was amazed by how much cheaper this stuff is out of the UK. I'm English and all my family is over there, maybe I just need to get a "care" package sent over! That would eliminate both financial and steering wheel location difficulties!

Steve..

2manykids4a7
07-19-2010, 08:39 PM
So I finally replaced the cable with one of the $20 ones that was designated neither RHD nor LHD and the length was just fine and the cable is working great. Not entirely sure what the PO had there originally it was a sort of 2 piece contraption, a short piece of cable out from the speedo that connected into a longer piece around the first clip in the engine compartment, very peculiar, I took a pic of all the parts my one new cable replaced.

The only thing that concerned me a little was that the old cable was wrapped in rubber (not shown in the picture) right near where it ran close to the exhaust, was this to protect from heat possibly? I clipped and zip tied the new one out of the way pretty well just to be on the safe side.

Steve..

Les Parker
07-20-2010, 02:11 PM
I believe the thought was if the speedo cable broke, it would be asier to replace either the top or lower part, which ever happened to fail.
This would be less involved that repalcing the complete cable, you would think.
I have replaced the cables on the 109" Ex MoD and have used the 90623054 Cable, or PLT008 Proline cable @ $19.95.
Both work just as well.

2manykids4a7
07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Les,

That would make sense although it seems a little over the top to me. I suppose if it failed at the transfer case end you avoid having to pull the dash and that would save you a few minutes. Failure at the speedometer end (which is what happened to me) only saves you the time taken to release a couple of clips and thread the cable down to the t/c. But to each his own.

The cable seems to do the job perferctly, so why does RN have 2 options RHD and LHD? Maybe the 2 distances from the speedo to the t/c are marginally different and if you want a perfect fit you can get a specific cable?

Steve..