PDA

View Full Version : Issues when running without the choke

usadventureracing
05-30-2010, 02:26 PM
I am having problems, as there is a gurgling/sputtering/ sometimes muffler popping sound when running with no choke. Runs great with choke. Anyone having any suggestions?

I was thinking I may need to set the valves then timing?

Thanks advance

NickDawson
05-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Just spent a few weeks sorting out a similar issue (details here: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9384 )

Mine turned out to be a combination of things - one of which was the fuel shutoff solenoid which I do not think you have on your carb.

In the end I had to replace the coil (suspect mine burnt up during the troubleshooting) and the condenser.

Things to check (others will have better suggestions):

Check the points - nice and clean, gaped appropriately - most likely suspect IMHO
float needle in the carb
carb jets nice and clean (us a cleaner and some monofiliment thread)
air filter - nice and clean
you might also pull the plugs and see - black and wet, too rich

usadventureracing
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info. What plugs are you running, I pulled the plugs and I prob should replace but I cannot find the ones I am running Bosch Super 4 R1 862.

I already replaced the condensor, distributor cap and coil.

NickDawson
05-30-2010, 07:00 PM
I've got a 2.5L which I think actually uses the same plugs - mine are Bosch, I'll pull one tomorrow and check exact 'model'.

When you pulled the plugs, how did they look?

When it gurgles, is there smoke? If so, what color?

Did this just start randomly?

What happens if you spray carb cleaner around the carb? Does it rev or stall? Any chance of an air leak?

I'm not the best to guide you since I'm pretty novice...just been through this exact problem two times. The first time it was electrical - fuel shutoff solenoid. The second time I'm still not clear on - combination of solenoid, coil, and condenser. Have you checked electrical systems? I recently replaced my $10 multimeter with a nicer one and found readings for things like frequency. One thing I was able to trace was the firing pattern of the plugs - they were getting voltage but not consistently even (thus condenser).... visually confirmed using a timing light which also will not fire if there are inconsistencies .... long story short, check the voltage across the points, at the low tension lead and at the positive lead going into the coil.

I'm told, and I think this is true, it is never the carb.
Except....when it is the carb.
You might pull the jets and dip them in some seafoam or cleaner.

You may also be on the right track with the valves - something I'm suspect of on my truck but know *nothing* about.

usadventureracing
05-30-2010, 07:41 PM
When you pulled the plugs, how did they look? They could be changed, plug 1 and 4 are "good" 2 and 3 are somewhat black and white......they are 4 prong

When it gurgles, is there smoke? If so, what color? No smoke at all

Did this just start randomly? yes, took it out yesterday and noticed it

What happens if you spray carb cleaner around the carb? Does it rev or stall? Any chance of an air leak? I will try this...thanks