PDA

View Full Version : AC Delco alternator install on 3MB engine

Tim Smith
05-31-2010, 09:03 AM
Anyone have pictures of an AC Delco alternator on a 3 main bearing 2.25? I was originally hoping to keep this down low near the original location but seeing the mud that killed mine, I think moving it up higher will be a better idea.

I'd like to see some pictures of other installs to get some ideas.

Cheers!

Leslie
05-31-2010, 09:32 AM
I have a photo somewhere, but I don't know where it is at the moment (currently at the beach). Mine is in the stock location, w/o any special mount: what I had to do was flip it to swap the pivots, in order to get the pulleys to align.

msggunny
05-31-2010, 10:02 AM
I have one here somewhere using Ike's mount. I don't have access to a computer, doing this off my blackberry otherwise I would link it to this.

Check the "what did u do to your rover today" thread or you can wait until I can get you one later this week.

KevinNY
05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Here ya go. On a 5MB if that makes a difference.

Tim Smith
05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks Kevin, and everyone else.

I'm going to try for the stock location just for now. I have a 2.5 which had a raised mount (much different that Kevin's). Turns out the timing cover is very different between that engine and the 3mb I'm working on.

The one that Kevin shows looks like the Pangolin mount which by the looks of it, would work on either engine. Very nice. I may go for something like that in the end.

gudjeon
05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
I mounted mine low in stock position:

From below:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/Oct07005.jpg

From above:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/gudjeon/Oct07006.jpg

I used the stock ear in the cast and made a long, stepped throughbolt to make the pivot/clamping mount and machined a piece of round stock to take up the extra space. The ear of the alternator wash ground/files yo make it line up with the pulley. The adjustable bracket was welded onto a piece of flat bar and was one from a donor car that the alt came from. I fit this snug little mod into my 2.25 fueled ser1. The belt is for a power steering pump from a '98 Neon. Line it up good and it lasts forever.:thumb-up:

Tim Smith
05-31-2010, 06:57 PM
That is pretty much what I am putting together gudjeon. Thanks!

Do you happen to know what alternator that is you have? I picked up one for an 85 camaro and it's all the same but the pulley. Unfortunately, I'll have to bore out an old pulley to make it work unless I could just swap it for an alternator that already had the same set up.

gudjeon
05-31-2010, 07:53 PM
I know it was out of a 1986 Chevette. About the only good thing from one of those.:rolleyes: I think its the 10si? The higher output alternator has the molded fan, not the stamp finned one. This is just the pulley that came with it. I love these old goodies. Get them out of the scrap bin for $0, put in a $35 kit, some cleaning and paint, and your set.:thumb-up:

TJR
05-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Here ya go. On a 5MB if that makes a difference.
Kevin. is that a P/S pump and P/S gearbox in your pic?

jac04
06-01-2010, 06:58 AM
Here is a Delco 10SI mounted using the Pangolin brackets. The alternator I ended up using was a completely new unit (not rebuilt) from NAPA. IIRC, it came with a lifetime warranty:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1594.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1785.jpg

Tim Smith
06-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Here is a Delco 10SI mounted using the Pangolin brackets. The alternator I ended up using was a completely new unit (not rebuilt) from NAPA. IIRC, it came with a lifetime warranty:
Very nice as usual. Can you give me a belt number off of your set up?

jac04
06-01-2010, 08:32 AM
^^ The belt is a Dayco TopCog 15495.
The alternator is a NAPA 1N-4011A. This is a single groove pulley alternator that I swapped to the double groove using a pulley that I already had. You should be able to get a double groove pulley version as well, but I don't know the part number.

KevinNY
06-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Kevin. is that a P/S pump and P/S gearbox in your pic?

Yes it is. In fact I still have the pump and bracket if someone were to want to do a PS conversion. It requires the double pulley fan.

mongoswede
06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Yes it is. In fact I still have the pump and bracket if someone were to want to do a PS conversion. It requires the double pulley fan.

is that a Scout/Bronco Pump?

Tim Smith
06-01-2010, 10:07 AM
^^ The belt is a Dayco TopCog 15495.
The alternator is a NAPA 1N-4011A. This is a single groove pulley alternator that I swapped to the double groove using a pulley that I already had. You should be able to get a double groove pulley version as well, but I don't know the part number.
Excellent. Thank you. :thumb-up:

KevinNY
06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
is that a Scout/Bronco Pump?

Nope, LR pump and box. My chassis is a coil conversion so the Scout setup doesn't work, coil mounts and pan hard braket would be in the way.

TJR
09-01-2010, 11:38 PM

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1594.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1785.jpg

The high mount alternator as show above is double belt for the military specs, but the std series models are a single belt.

Has anyone had issue w/ the low wrap angle on the waterpump pulley? any fan slippage squeals,,,etc? THX.. Talbot

junkyddog11
09-02-2010, 06:12 AM

KB i may be interested. I'm in the middle of doing the same thing again other than this one has leafs and the P38 box....again. Seems to be a run on power steering lately.

The alternator bracket on your conversion was actually a modified Pangolin. I built one that used the front part of the double pulley. Ikes uses the rear or standard part of the pulley. I definately use Ikes when doing the regular Delco conversion as running the alternator up high is by far the best place for it.

jac04
09-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Has anyone had issue w/ the low wrap angle on the waterpump pulley? any fan slippage squeals,,,etc? THX.. Talbot
Yes. It is difficult to find 2 belts that are exactly the same. Originally I had two belts that were different enough so that one was fairly loose when the other was tensioned properly. So, I decided to run one belt. The belt would always give a little squeal when I would blip the throttle. The belt tension needed to be quite high (too high IMO) to keep it from slipping.

I then went to the parts store and bought a half a dozen belts. I was able to find a matching set that were at about the same tension. I'm now back to the double belt set-up and I no longer get any belt squeal and the belts are not overly tensioned.

FYI: With the single belt, the onlt time I would get a little squeal was when blipping the throttle in neutral. Normal driving did not result in any squal or slippage. Keep in mind that I am using the 8-blade military fan, which is quite a bit heavier than the civvy 4-blade fan, so you may not have any issues.