PDA

View Full Version : Gasket Sealers..

TJR
06-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Gasket Sealers..
I've personally never used the recommended Hylomar sealer... is it really "that" good? If it was used by the factory my S3 LR was certainly not leak free.

What is your expereince with Indian Head vs. Gascacinch vs Permatex spray High tack adhesive and ony other sealants.

I was going to use Indian Head on both sides of my Oil pan gasket and timimg cover gaskets. I've never had great luck w/ RTV on the Oil pan.

..Talbot

Terrys
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I have used Permatex Hi Tac, brush on, for years, and like it.

bkreutz
06-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Hylomar is designed for metal to metal sealing, on gasketed surfaces I use Permatex Aviation (#3) sealer.

thixon
06-02-2010, 12:33 PM
They all leak just fine on series rovers.:D

Hylomar is great with or without a gasket. Permatex brush on and spray on both work very well. I'd rank RTV last. Never used Indian Head but hears its okay. Your oil pan is probably gonna leak anyway, whatever you use.

martindktm
06-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I use Permatex Ultra Gray and never had any trouble. Very good cleaning of the surface is the key. I wash my surface to seal with acetone before putting the silicone.

mongoswede
06-02-2010, 03:22 PM
many years of happy good experience with Loctite 518...I think its now called Permatex 518...anerobic sealant for metal to metal contact in place of non available gaskets...or good with gaskets too...thin smeared layers...non of this gobbed on too the moon nonsense.

http://www.greatplainsas.com/lock51804.jpeg

SafeAirOne
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I used the Permatex stuff where the bible called for "Hylogrip 2000".

See: http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/6114

bobzinak
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I like the hylomar because you can take the thing apart and put it back together in an emergency and it will still seal up, it never really dries out like most sealing stuff. permatex aviation gasket sealer is awsome stuff seals fuel gaskets and is really strong. that said it can be a bugger to dissasemble parts sealed with it.

gudjeon
06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Permatex Aviation brush on stuff:thumb-up:

TJR
06-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I have used Permatex Hi Tac, brush on, for years, and like it.
I Picked some up some of this at Napa today.. will give it a try.. Seems a but "stringy" but it's sticky for sure..

printjunky
06-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I'll second the previous post on super-good, detailed prep. With that, I've had fine luck with all of the above (though I remember liking some thinnish red/see through stuff that was finger-smeared in a thin layer on metal to metal - might have been a loctite product, forget that detail), but, again, regardless, it's all in the prep imho.