PDA

View Full Version : Thermostatic Fan Controller Ideas

crankin
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Has anyone found a good quality thermostat fan controller? The UK boys say that X-eng makes a wonderful product (http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Fan.asp)... But with shipment and everything getting up there dollar wise... I was wondering if the states offered anything as good or better.

greenmeanie
06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I've no experience with it but Painless makes a lot of these.

mongoswede
06-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Has anyone found a good quality thermostat fan controller? The UK boys say that X-eng makes a wonderful product (http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Fan.asp)... But with shipment and everything getting up there dollar wise... I was wondering if the states offered anything as good or better.

yep. there are lots of easy ways to control the fan. Essentially you wire the fan through a relay and a thermo switch mounted in either the upper radiator hose, the lower hose, or the radiator. When the fan switch closes the radiator turns on. My plan is to go to use one of these from a Saab which is used to control the AC compressor:

#12 in this picture:

http://data.eeuroparts.com/Images/diagrams/lg_5d8e1131-1734-465e-8171-a62eb68e0649.GIF

basically a pipe with a threaded fitting built in that accepts a thermo switch. Place this in the lower radiator hose so that it measures the temp of the coolant coming out of the radiator. Then wire your fan through the switch. You can then change out the switches for winter and summer time use to allow more heat in the winter and more cooling in the summer.

crankin
06-02-2010, 03:14 PM
That is a temp switch hose adaptor from a late 80s Saab 900, right?

mongoswede
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM

Depends on the vehicle but usually around 180 deg F in the summer and around 200 deg F in the winter. Application, engine type, and use may dictate otherwise.

crankin
06-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Depends on the vehicle but usually around 180 deg F in the summer and around 200 deg F in the winter. Application, engine type, and use may dictate otherwise.

HA! Answered my question while i was changing it...
I had origianlly asked what the optimal temp was to switch on in the summer and winter was...but i found a few sites that mentioned 180F...so, i changed it to the Saab question.

Terrys
06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Flexolite makes a solid state controller, you set the on temp and it varies the ramp-up speed as it approaches the set point. I have been using one (and their fans) in my 110 for several years and can't say enough good about it.

mongoswede
06-02-2010, 06:00 PM

that is correct. you should be able to find one in any saab 900 from the mid 80's to early 90's...lots of them in the junkyards these days. The switch that is mounted in it is used to keep the ac compressor off if the engine is too hot. So you will have to change out the sensor for one that works with radiator temps in your area of interest.

NickDawson
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
My UK imported SIII has a thermostatically controlled electric fan. There is an actual thermostat tapped into the radiator - no clue make/model or temp setting. That goes through a relay and activates the electric fan. I can honestly say I don't see a change in the temp gauge though (have the mechanical fan attached still too and a high temp thermostat).