PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet hinges

bkreutz
06-03-2010, 02:26 PM
I tried searching the forum but couldn't find an answer, hopefully someone will help. This is regarding the hinge bushings for a SIII bonnet, does the offset in the bushing go towards the rear or the front (when it's pointing up ready for bonnet install). I tried to logic it out (dangerous path on a Rover:D) and I can think of reasons for either way. Thanks

Leslie
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Once the bonnet is shut, the offset should be down.

bkreutz
06-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks,
That was kind of the way I was leaning, figuring that would make the gap between bonnet and wing a bit narrower. (of course the other thought was that if the thicker part was down, there would be more surface contact with the bracket) I guess putting the slot in the middle would be too simple.:D

SafeAirOne
06-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I'll have to try mine that way to see if it makes much of a difference--I've always had mine the other way round, figuring that the slot should be aligned with the gap in the hinge on the bulkhead when removing/installing the bonnet.

Leslie
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Wait, I meant the offset of the mass is down; that once shut, the bulk of the cylinder is towards the bottom. The slot should be towards the top, facing forward.

My apologies for the confusion.

SafeAirOne
06-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Wait, I meant the offset of the mass is down; that once shut, the bulk of the cylinder is towards the bottom. The slot should be towards the top, facing forward.

My apologies for the confusion.

...Ahh. Well, in that case, I concur!:thumb-up:

bkreutz
06-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks again, it sure helps. I tried figuring this out in the various books that I have (WSM, Parts, and Optional parts) but came up blank, the bushings were completely missing when I got mine, just metal on metal (kinda floppy that way:D)