PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problem

siii8873
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
I have had a few odd things happen with my clutch. It work correct most the time but a few times it has not seemed to return correctly, stays down a little until I push it in again. One time I pushed the clutch in and went to start the truck and it lunged, clutch was not disengaged.
Almost all the time it works correctly very intermittent,
Any ideas?

ignotus
06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
The fluid level? Check for leaks, fill and bleed the system. Need more info for diagnosis.

siii8873
06-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Fluids are good, check it regularly and have not had to add any, steady level. This has only happened a few times and wasn't sure what was going on. I'm going to pay closer attention so I can provide better symptoms. I'm sure it won't heal itself so should have better info soon, this is my only vehicle drive it daily.

Jim-ME
06-05-2010, 05:04 AM
What kind of shape is your peddle return spring in?
Jim

Terrys
06-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Crud in the check valve on the end of the MC piston.

siii8873
06-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Drove the truck today problem persist. Started the truck w/ clutch disengaged (pushed in). Let clutch out slowly in 1st gear and it catches immediately, car lunges. Stopped at end of driveway same result. Then fine for remainder of trip, few stops / starts no problem. Parked at a store in there ~1/2 hr, came out problem occured again once, then fine for number of stops/starts again. It appears that the clutch is not disengaging all the way (something sticking?), engages way to quick when releasing it after it's been sitting. Disengages far enough that I can shift into gears no problem. i do know that the clutch, master and slave have less than 15K on them.
Thoughts
Bob

LaneRover
06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Any chance that this is not a problem with the hydraulic system but is crud on the clutch itself that is causing it to stick? Do you have a rear main seal oil leak? Is your wading plug in?

When I bought my '66 88 Rover after a bit noticed that the wading plug was in. Took it out and out poured a bunch of oil. I know my clutch plate is impregnated with oil but it all works, the truck just kind of 'shudders' when it takes off some time.

Is yours a sticky mess that doesn't stick much when warm?

siii8873
06-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Looked into my clutch issues today. Not sure I mentioned that my rover is a 74 series III.
First of all the wading plug is out and there is no leakage to speak of in the bell housing.
I removed the left wing and top cover of the master cylinder and pushed in the master cylinder a number of times by prying the pedal end w/ a screwdriver. Most all the time it feels correct, resist pressure. Every once in a while it pushes in easier like the fluid is bypassing or clutch did not return. The master cyl does not show any leakage out the shaft.
The clutch pedal spring looks good, not stretched or corroded.
An afterthought on this is that I am having a little more trouble getting the gearbox into first gear when downshifting than my previous SIII, a double clutch helps. Lately reverse has been a little trouble at times also.
Starting to think clutch is hanging up for some reason.
Any other things to try while I have the wing off?
Thanks
Bob

kevkon
06-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Master cylinder probably needs a rebuild.

cgalpin
06-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Sounds like the same symptoms on my 63 other than I had evidence of the master starting to leak too. Mine had no return spring so I added one, and shortly after it got worse fast - not sure if it was a coincidence. I am rebuilding both the master and slave and I'll let you you know how it turns out.

siii8873
06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Removed master and slave. Oil very dirty. Master cleaned up, bore great, slides smooth. Slave really crudded up, hanging up, some corrosion in bore. Not smoother after cleaning.
Plan rebuild master, replace slave. Parts on order, in stock with host, should have tomorrow. Will need to get my well trained wife to help w/ bleeding.
Bob

albersj51
06-07-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm new to Rovers, so take this with a grain of salt. I had a similar situation with one of my other cars (1990 Mazda miata). First it was the cluth slave cylinder...rebuilt it ran fine for 2 years. Started hapenning again but this time it was the master cylinder. I'd rebuild/replace one of the two (assuming a rover has both).

It sounds like when it sits for a while it's leaking hydrolic pressure...just my .02. Best of luck!

bmohan55
06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Had the same problem in my Miata (2001 SE), found out that you need to replace the clutch fluid as it absorbs water and pits the slave...went thru two slaves before I figured that out. Probably the same with Rovers.

albersj51
06-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Those miata slave cylinders are horrible, but fairly easy to rebuild. All the other mechanical/electrical stuff is built very well though.