PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Conversion

albersj51
06-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

New to Rovers and new to electrical work. A couple days ago I posted about my charge light coming on and it seems obvious the old Generator in my '67 IIA is just not going to cut it. (drove around last night and now she wont turn over).

I can do most basic things mechanical, but electrical work befuddles me...Does anyone have an illistrated step by step guide to doing the alternator conversion and handling the Voltage Regulator AND the Ammeter? Sorry to be a pain, but I want to drive her and get her rocking, and also get to know the old girl intimately so I can bring her back to her old (yet modernized) glory...not to mention start contributing to the forum. Thanks for all of your help now and in the future!

Jason

LaneRover
06-05-2010, 09:19 PM
If you can't find it on the link that 'Wander' gave you I think that our hosts can send out a copy if I remember correctly.

albersj51
06-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks LaneRover, I'll reach out to them if nothing else pops up.

While the link Wander sent was great, I guess I'm looking for the REALLY dumb version...actual pictures of the process where a line says pull this wire from here, and put it in here...Yup, thats how bad I am at these things! Electrical diagrams give me a headache! :)

greenmeanie
06-05-2010, 11:14 PM
A Pangolin 4X4 bracket (In deference to our hosts you can do the internet search). An AC Delco 10 SI alternator (If you can't find one of these on line or at your local parts shop then just give up). This web site:
http://madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

A Delco 10SI is internally regulated so you don't have to worry about that. Ditch the ammeter and replace it with a voltmeter. It gives you more useful information and is far more reliable.