PDA

View Full Version : tuffy Box w/ OD

siii8873
06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Does the OD lever interfere with the cup holders on tuffy boxes? I'm considering one but looks like it will.

bkreutz
06-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Yes it does, (unless you want to leave it in overdrive:D) I wanted the cupholders so I ended up "reshaping" the OD lever. I posted some pics a while back, but can't seem to find out where on a search. I can post it again if you're interested.

adkrover
06-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I had to do the same with my OD lever. Easy modification.

siii8873
06-06-2010, 11:01 AM
That's what I thought. What did you do bend the OD shaft or turn it in a different position? Pictures would be great.
Thanks
Bob

scott
06-06-2010, 11:36 AM
i don't have a tuffy box but what i did to keep from using o/d in low gears was to put the gear box in 2nd, loosen the o/d lever while it was in the disengage position and rotated it until it and the tranny lever were trying to occupy the same space. now when shifting from 3rd to 2nd i'm instantly reminded that it's in o/d. side affect was the now in the disengage position the o/d lever doesn't come close to my middle seat

adkrover
06-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Can't recall exactly what I used to bend it but it's just steel so I imagine it include taking the lever out of the truck and clamping it in a vise. Then I most likely took off the top knob and slipped a piece if iron pipe over the end of the lever so that I could get some good leverage on it. If you don't have a big enough vise you could use two pieces of pipe. A bit of heat from a torch right where you want it to bend will also make it bend a lot easier.

I bent mine so that it went over the top of the gear tunnel so I could reach it without having to lean across the center console. Mine shifts very nicely but I suppose if yours requires force to engage that it might not work as well.

bkreutz
06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Here's the way I did it, first pic shows the angles of the shifter (I used a torch and a pipe, I first used a coat hanger to figure out the angles) the second pic show it with the rest of the interior installed.