PDA

View Full Version : Greasing U Joints

amcordo
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Question. I've still been putting this off. I need to grease the ujoints before a big trip this weekend since it hasn't been done since I got the truck.

1. Will something like this work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PENNZOIL-Multi-Purpose-Mini-Grease-Gun-Moly-Grease-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b0d9743fQQitemZ17047 0765631QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools (they sell these at the local supermarket)

2. Am I looking for a nipple or a small hole to shoot the grease into? Will I need a needle attachment for the grease gun?

It's the small things that make me nervous - I'm on a tight timeline to do this among a bunch of larger jobs to get it ready in the course of about a few hours so I can't afford the time to go to the store more than once...

txffjim
06-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes that will do-
Look for a zerk (nipple) near the center of the u joint cross or the endcap of the u joint. Note: some grease gun tips might be too wide to fit the zerk while on the vehicle- either take down the driveshaft or find one with a smaller tip.
If your u joint has what looks like a zerk with a "bowl" in the center of it (an innie) you'll have to get a $5 screw on adapter with a rubber or needle tip.

amcordo
06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes that will do-
Look for a zerk (nipple) near the center of the u joint cross or the endcap of the u joint. Note: some grease gun tips might be too wide to fit the zerk while on the vehicle- either take down the driveshaft or find one with a smaller tip.
If your u joint has what looks like a zerk with a "bowl" in the center of it (an innie) you'll have to get a $5 screw on adapter with a rubber or needle tip.

THANKS!