PDA

View Full Version : Door alignment

east high
06-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Do these old rigs have sliding nuts for panel alignment, or are they straight bolt ons? Weird question I guess, but my doors have never been easy to shut without slamming them. I replaced the hinge bushings and springs and that seemed to help some. I also noticed both my striker plates are missing the shims. Here's a pic of my passenger door. You can see how out of alignment it is. When it's shut you can see daylight through the bottom seam.

http://www.geraddavis.com/random/rover/door.jpg

mrdoiron
06-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Do these old rigs have sliding nuts for panel alignment, or are they straight bolt ons? Weird question I guess, but my doors have never been easy to shut without slamming them. I replaced the hinge bushings and springs and that seemed to help some. I also noticed both my striker plates are missing the shims. Here's a pic of my passenger door. You can see how out of alignment it is. When it's shut you can see daylight through the bottom seam.

http://www.geraddavis.com/random/rover/door.jpg

Not sure what the "official" way is to align these, but my experience has been to first get the new door hinge bolt kit (pic below DHK111) from RN, and then the rest is an alignment exercise on loosening up the hinge bolts as well as striker plates to get everything aligned correctly - and tighten up well. Once adjusted you'll ok for a while, but they do seem to still shift over time and need to re-tweek...

mike

mongoswede
06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
This is just an idea...let more experienced rover bulkhead fitters chime in....but I think you could use washers on the bulkhead mount bolts to properly space the top and bottom. I do hear people talk about using a ratchet strap to pull the bulkhead straight when reassembling.

east high
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I guess I'm half way there. I've already rebuilt the hinges. I guess my next step will be to loosen the mounting bolts and scooch things around in hopes of a better fit. Are the non-burst striker plate shims NLA? I can seem to locate any.

Not sure what the "official" way is to align these, but my experience has been to first get the new door hinge bolt kit (pic below DHK111) from RN, and then the rest is an alignment exercise on loosening up the hinge bolts as well as striker plates to get everything aligned correctly - and tighten up well. Once adjusted you'll ok for a while, but they do seem to still shift over time and need to re-tweek...

mike