PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Light?

printjunky
06-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Has anyone added a low fuel light (yeah, fancy, I know!) to their Rover?

There are some, even relatively early one that have low fuel lights, right?

Not my 74 SIII SWB, but I was thinking of using that spare hole in my dash - the one where I assume the charge light goes if you have the triple gauges on the right instead of the 2 gauges and the charge light (like I have).

I know some fuel senders come already to be hooked to a low-fuel light, but I don't know the difference and if I can add said light to my regular sender/gauge setup.

yorker
06-10-2010, 03:19 PM
The diesel sending units come withthe low fuel light IIRC

Bostonian1976
06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
I'd be happy if my gauge worked...

NickDawson
06-10-2010, 04:37 PM
would have helped me today... going up a hill it started bucking badly. Looked down and was below E. Coasted on fumes into a station....

found myself asking the same question about a light. Although not sure even a light can fix my own absentmindedness

Terrys
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
My buddy just bought a Pro-Line replacement sender from RN and it has a spade connector for a low fuel warning light.
I know of no series truck that came thru with one from the factory, but the center switch panel of an S3 has 2 or 3 extra holes, plugged off, and the lights to fit them are available.

SafeAirOne
06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
My buddy just bought a Pro-Line replacement sender from RN and it has a spade connector for a low fuel warning light.
I know of no series truck that came thru with one from the factory, but the center switch panel of an S3 has 2 or 3 extra holes, plugged off, and the lights to fit them are available.

Item #10 is low fuel warning lamp:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/product/large/LR-page81.1.jpg

printjunky
06-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Never thought of putting it there! Ha.

I was thinking of the extra hole down by the switches, but that's even better.

Now I can put that Door Open light and buzzer in. :D

Nick, I hear ya. I procrastinate, then get going on auto pilot. Bad combo. Saw some Flawless Human Being on another (non-rover) board respond to a similar question to mine (about an old Chevy, I think). He basically said only an idiot would run out of gas! If that's the metric, I guess I qualify. :eek:

albersj51
06-11-2010, 12:40 AM
A low fuel light is a great idea! However, even then you can run out of gas...my BMW tells me how many miles I have. One day hop in I have 24 miles to go so I head for the gas station, 2 miles later, it drops to 6 miles left. 1 mile later, I am in a parking lot with my girlfriend giving me the stink eye waiting for my brother to come with his gas can...so, nothings fool proof, and I'm a fool! :D

printjunky
06-11-2010, 01:52 AM
Oh, I'm sure it'll eventually be "How long can I ignore that fuel light I installed?" In my other car, I have it down to this fine a calculation: About 110% of a needle width beyond the mark by the 'e,' until I'm really, REALLY in trouble.

I'll need a low fuel klaxon, supplemented with arbitrary driver seat low fuel electro-shocks ... eh, I'll probably still run right to the bleeding edge once in awhile.

luckyjoe
06-11-2010, 07:42 AM
My exMoD 109 has this as a factory option. It's called a second tank! I can drive one tank until the engine starts to buck, then switch to the second, hopefully full, tank!

Although a novel idea, I don't think I'd notice/look-at a low fuel warning light... Not with eyes-on-the-road, oil-pressure, water-temp and oil-temp to keep tabs on.

Regards,

Terrys
06-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks for that Illustration Mark. I have seen a light there on the diesel, which ,at least on that truck, was wired to the glow plug circuit. But I'm wondering if that is a Land Rover illustration, or a RN illustration.
The hand throttle on an S3 was common on MOD trucks, but they show an OD lever, so does this illustration mean LR offered an OD? Notice there are 2 #36 items ?
Have you seen a low fuel light on any US market series trucks?

yorker
06-11-2010, 08:57 AM
it is part #575396 "Blue Warning Light Diesel/Fuel level warning light"
http://www.legionlandrover.com/manuales/lr%20official%20parts%20manual%2013.pdf
As far as I know it is strictly meant for diesels since it really sucks to run them out of fuel... ;)

http://www.cotswoldlandrovers.co.uk/hard-to-find.htm

NickDawson
06-11-2010, 09:00 AM
A low fuel light is a great idea! However, even then you can run out of gas...my BMW tells me how many miles I have. One day hop in I have 24 miles to go so I head for the gas station, 2 miles later, it drops to 6 miles left. 1 mile later, I am in a parking lot with my girlfriend giving me the stink eye waiting for my brother to come with his gas can...so, nothings fool proof, and I'm a fool! :D

Been there too ... clearly I have a poor attention to detail :D
My BMW seems conservative... the miles tick off appropriately but once you drop below 1 it reads: --- I have driven 3-5 miles on the highway with it reading ---

I finally figured out why I couldn't get my hand throttle controls sorted - my truck was originally diesel before someone did the 2.5L petrol conversion. So I've got that low fuel light installed and just begging to be used. If the proline sender supports it, that would be a worthwhile upgrade for me.