PDA

View Full Version : Rochester carb

woodman1
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Hello
I have a 1963 series IIa.
what has to be done when replacing a webber carb with a rochester?

mongoswede
06-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Hello
I have a 1963 series IIa.
what has to be done when replacing a webber carb with a rochester?

I believe you have to unbolt the webber carb, lift it off of the manifold, replace any gaskets as necesary, and bolt the Rochester onto the manifold. I think you have to disconnect and reconnect the fuel lines.

:rolleyes:

Ha...dumb joke. Aside from making sure your jetting is correct and the settings on the carb are correct I don't think its complicated swap.

thixon
06-11-2010, 07:26 AM
What about the throttle linkage? I thought the throttle on the rochestor went up, while the weber goes down to open. I may be absolutely wrong about this (go figure).

siiirhd88
06-11-2010, 08:04 AM
The Rochester mounts like the Solex, so the 90 degree adapter base for the Zenith and Weber needs to be removed from the manifold. If you use the vacuum port on the spacer you will need to then use the seperate port on the manifold or if you have power brakes install a 'T' at the manifold to share the port.

The spacing on the Rochester mount holes was slightly different than the stud spacing, so the carb mount holes needed to be filed slightly longer.

Most Rochester carbs push up to open the throttle. You will need to use the Solex linkage or fab up your own to push up instead of down.

I used a spare phenolic carb insulator under the carb at the manifold to help prevent vapor lock.

I found the Rochester to be a bit tall in height, causing the air inlet 90 degree adapter to rub against the bonnet. I removed a ring of rubber from the carb to adapter rubber hose tube, and cut a bit off of the bottom of the 90 degree adapter to ensure it sat as low as possible.

There are different air inlet adapters, some with a smaller diameter than the carb inlet. I had a spare with the correct diameter.

The rebuild kit for the Rochester 'B' carb was available from Napa for about $17.00.

Bob
'02 Disco II SD
'80 SIII 109
'75 SIII 88 V8
'68 SIIA 109 V8

mongoswede
06-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I believe you have to unbolt the webber carb, lift it off of the manifold, replace any gaskets as necesary, and bolt the Rochester onto the manifold. I think you have to disconnect and reconnect the fuel lines.

:rolleyes:

Ha...dumb joke. Aside from making sure your jetting is correct and the settings on the carb are correct I don't think its complicated swap.

Don't listen to this guy /\ he clearly doesn't know what he is talking about. :D Good to see someone does have to useful information.

woodman1
06-12-2010, 10:19 PM
the rochester is jetted correctly. I was wondering about the linkage.