PDA

View Full Version : Smiths heater rebuild

PavementEnds
06-13-2010, 11:42 AM
The original Smiths heater in my 1973 SWB was rusted through, its fan motor frozen, and so I decided to rebuild and replace the bad parts. From what I've seen in this forum, this situation is pretty common on vehicles of this vintage, and the rebuild is the basic stuff that we all do. What I have not seen anywhere is a list of reasonably priced replacement parts and where to find them. I looked high and low for a replacement fan motor and squirrel cage and finally found them, with a total cost of about $65 versus nearly $200 for complete assemblies. I've detailed the rebuild and parts and post as an attached pdf file -- in this way the post will not take up a lot of room and then whoever is interested can download it. I hope it will save others the time involved in locating the replacement parts and save some money, too.

I've removed the description of the rebuild to stay within my attachment size quota -- if anyone wants it, pls PM me and I'll send it to you.

bkreutz
06-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Nicely done writeup:thumb-up:, This should be a sticky somewhere. I have no rust on mine but can appreciate the work involved.