PDA

View Full Version : shock absorber bushings, whats the trick?

NickDawson
06-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Im on my third shock and its not getting easier, so I am hoping there is something I am missing.

I'm putting on new ProComps - they have two bushings that compress together. The top is easy enough because it is a bolt.

The bottom is just a massive washer and cotter pin. Try as I might, I cannot find a good way to get enough compression on there to even get close for the cotter pint to slide in.

I've got 'em lubed up with dish soap, I've tried clamps (but theres not much to clamp to), vice grips... the works.

What am I missing? (besides a cold beer)?

bkreutz
06-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Find an old socket that you don't want, big enough to catch the washer, then cut a couple of slots in the socket, then you can use a big clamp to compress the washer (and the bushings) then slide the cotter pin through the slots in the socket.

NickDawson
06-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Find an old socket that you don't want, big enough to catch the washer, then cut a couple of slots in the socket, then you can use a big clamp to compress the washer (and the bushings) then slide the cotter pin through the slots in the socket.

Clever! And clearly something that warrants purchasing the drill press that I've been coveting :D (although thats a ways off in the budget, may have to try with a hand drill and vice)

siiirhd88
06-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Sockets are a hard metaland don't drill well. It might be faster and easier to grind slots with an angle grinder.

Bob

NickDawson
06-13-2010, 04:30 PM
does anyone make a specialized tool for this? Seems easier than grinding slots in an old socket.

SafeAirOne
06-13-2010, 05:48 PM
does anyone make a specialized tool for this? Seems easier than grinding slots in an old socket.

I'll make you one for $83.50 (price using an old SAE-sized socket--If you want me to use a metric socket, that'll be $94.05 If you need it in witworth, that'll be $475.22). ;)

siiirhd88
06-13-2010, 06:22 PM
I was able to squeeze the washer in just enough on just one side to start the pin into the hole. After the pin was in as far as it would go, I squeezed the other side..... The socket idea is a better way.

Bob

gudjeon
06-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Big water pump pliers. Squeeze to get pin started. Squeeze other side and push pin through.:thumb-up:

yorker
06-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Big water pump pliers. Squeeze to get pin started. Squeeze other side and push pin through.:thumb-up:

:thumb-up:
http://chadstoolbox.com/productimages/felo/50064.jpg

That is how I did it too.