PDA

View Full Version : newbi to rovers

JeepinWV
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Hello, I'm a jeep guy and I'm looking to get into something alittle smoother and something thats more reliable than my ol' XJ. Right now I'm looking at getting a Discovery II, I really like the 2003+ models better but both are nice. I have driven them and love the way they drive, but I have also done my research on them and have found some people have said a few negative things about them. I just wanted some opinions on the Discovery II as a daily driver. I am a member of JeepinWV.com and I know a few people stop in there and ask questions about jeep models and it seems to be a big help, so I'm turning a 180 and asking some questions about some Rovers

A couple of my biggest concerns are the closest dealer ship from me is 2.5 hours south in Smith Motors in Charleston, or the dealerships in Pittsburgh 2+ hours North

I have torn My Xj apart so I'm not mechanically inclined, but the problems I have been hearing about seem more of a computer and electronics issue... and that I would not feel comfortable tearing into on a rig I know nothing about.

I'm also working around a 15k budget... is this to cheep to be finding a nice DD that isn't going to be running into to many problems?

Thanks, Jason

dcwhybrew
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Well, I'm not sure you're going to be getting anything more reliable than your XJ. Rovers have their quirks. With 15k you can still get in to a nice Disco II, but make sure you get an extended warranty with it. These things are prone to ABS modulator problems, among others, which alone will pay for your service warranty.

The Series II Discoveries are significantly more reliable than the Series I Discoveries. As far as Range Rovers go, look for anything newer than 99 with the BOSCH engine management system, same goes for the DII.

Here's a website that might help you.

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/rover_advice1.asp

Definitely have a mechanic check it out before you buy.

JeepinWV
03-12-2007, 11:56 PM
OK, so i deff. want to get a Disco II over the Disco I. Is the ABS Modual something that could be driven without? The couple that I have driven have made me want one for years and I know I could get a reliable XJ for cheep and parts are cheep and easy to find, plus I have replaced just about everything you can possibly replace on mine. But everybody and their brother has one they all look the same and if left stock just look boreing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/JeepinWV23/55742.jpg

the jeep

Most of the problems I have been reading about are problems with codes, and that makes me worried that I would not be able to work with it and I would have to take it to a dealer? (again 2 hours away) Anybody get over 100k miles without problems with a disco II?

thanks, Jason

JeepinWV
03-15-2007, 05:01 PM
had to post this up here ... couple of our club took out a Rover yesterday and I guess he had fun, but also made for a great pic!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/TJinWV/2007-03-14%20-%20Tower%20Hill/100_2320.jpg

Still looking for more info on the ABS light... what kind of fix is this? Is it just a error message and a code thrown? Or is this something that effects its driving on the road?

Thanks, Jason

ceasark
06-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey mate,

I have bought a 1999 Discovery II 2 months ago that looks just like the one in the pic you posted...It is indeed pure driving pleasure but parts are expensive and hard to find..

Already had an ABS modulator failure...Replacing it costs a fortune..Trying to look for an affordable use part now..

So if your are gonna buy one make sure you check it well first..run the scanner on it and make sure there are no failures whatsoever...

Cheers..