PDA

View Full Version : Probably a silly question series 2.5 engine mating to automatic tranny like a ZF or s

TCapelle
06-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Silly question but wondering if a series 2.5 engine could ever be mated to an automatic transmission.
I know the Scotty adapter is out there for mating a 6 cyl to the rover transmission..anything ever been done the other way around?

Are there any series engined automatic series vehicles out there- if so they probably have v8 engines swaps right?

LR Max
06-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Don't see why not.

Biggest problem is that the ZF is A LOT bigger than the standard 4 speed. So you'll need to deal with that, also you'll probably be running the LT230, which ain't bad.

Modification of the ZF4 is required. Gonna have to modify the lock up (if it has one stock, if not, install one!!) RPM and shift points.

Having driven other small 4 cylinder auto cars, I can only assume it'll be super gutless.

Les Parker
06-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Eons ago, back in the '80's, Ian Ashcroft used to offer an auto kit for the Series vehs.
Not sure if that was popular enough to warrant carrying the product to current days....
I am sure there must be some examples of this conversion out there, anyone have one?

yorker
06-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I have seen it done before- somewhere on the internet. I want to say it was done with a 200TDI's autobox but I can't remember.

greenmeanie
06-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Swiss Army 100" prototype #13 (http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/gallery/gallery3htms/100sw.htm)

By the men at Lode Lane.