PDA

View Full Version : tires squealing or slipping when in sharp turn

Ed*
06-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Hi

I have a RRC 95 LWB. My abs and traction control lights are on.

When I am moving very slowly and make very sharp turns, my front tires either squeal or slip. This happens about 50% of the time and only at very low speeds, like getting into a parking spot, and only when my wheel is turned almost all the way.

An thoughts on hunting down the cause? I suspect it is related to the TC light, but i dont know how to go about finding the cause.

Thanks

TriedStone
06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
just a guess but it sounds like your center diff is locked.

yorker
06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
just a guess but it sounds like your center diff is locked.

No center Diff on RRC's 1989-95, the viscous coupling could be going bad though.

Ed*
06-22-2010, 11:40 AM
anyone have a BW viscous coupling they want to sell or the linkage for an LT230

spacemutt
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Sometimes the viscious couplings do seize up and cause wind-up. Do you find the steering wheel tries to whip back to centre when turning?

Also...you could have broken a half shaft! Have you heard a loud bang lately? I did this in mine. I pulled away from a junction and heard a load bang from the back. I thought I'd been hit. The top tailgate popped open, and I could see no sign of damage. I put it down to the tailgate popping. From then on the front wheels would spin very easily. I assumed it was down to the 4.6 that was fitted! After the CV joint collapsed...and the car stopped working...we figured out it was the rear half shaft that had blown.

nigel
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I had a similar issue with my 95lwb it turned out to be drag from the replacement brake pads not being shimmed correctly. My pads still have life in them so I live with the problem until I need new ones and I will make sure I use the correct pads with the shim.

Ed*
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
oh hey, how did you figure out it was the brakes? i'd love to check that when i get home