PDA

View Full Version : Grounding

printjunky
06-18-2010, 09:26 AM
The anti-seize thread sparked this question, but I'm splitting it out and collecting it in one place.

I'm about to button up all of my wiring, and I've had problems in the past with weak, bad and difficult to diagnose ground problems. So other than the obvious good metal-to-metal connections, what tips to improve a grounding system are out there?

mongoswede
06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
The anti-seize thread sparked this question, but I'm splitting it out and collecting it in one place.

I'm about to button up all of my wiring, and I've had problems in the past with weak, bad and difficult to diagnose ground problems. So other than the obvious good metal-to-metal connections, what tips to improve a grounding system are out there?

Go to your local welding supply shop and buy some welding cable. The welding cable is usually high quality wire made up of many fine strands that conduct electricity very well. I have bought 20 feet of 2 gauge welding cable for around $24. You can buy a crimp tool and the appropriate heat shrink and wire ends to make your own battery, starter, alternator, and ground straps. These always make a significant improvment in the electrical system of every vehicle I put them on. Also run ground straps at the engine to battery, to the chassis, and to the rear chassis.

gudjeon
06-18-2010, 09:43 AM
I second the welding cable stuff. You can buy it in bulk so it is cheaper than buying the crappy autostore battery leads. Its made to be flexible, conduct very well, and be able to withstand heat. What more could you ask for? :thumb-up:

jac04
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Saturn Surplus has some really cool stuff. I bought my 0-gage battery cables, terminals, and ground straps from them:
http://www.saturnsurplus.com/electrical/electrical.htm

printjunky
06-18-2010, 11:12 AM
I was looking for some sheet copper last week for a project (Roof for an outdoor 3 level house for the cats to hang out in, if you must know. Stop laughing.) and stumbled across this.

http://www.stormcopper.com/Flexible-Electrical-Bus-Bar-Connectors.htm

gudjeon
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Nothing wrong with that stuff. Vehicle length ground wire is probably cheaper done with welding cable is where my money is on. :thumb-up: