PDA

View Full Version : popping out of reverse, first, and third gear

bige
06-19-2010, 10:18 AM
My 1963 IIA has started popping out of reverse, first and third gears, it is not engaging all the way. Second and fourth are fine. I do not have my shop manual handy but have heard that it might just be the o-ring on the shift lever. Any ideas?
Thanks

txffjim
06-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I've heard from someone on here that the popping out of reverse is the layshaft bearing. I'd like to find out about the rest of those problems too.

I Leak Oil
06-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Could be a loose main shaft nut.

bkreutz
06-19-2010, 07:30 PM
I'd look real close at the shifter since all of your problem gears are in the same direction of shifter travel, and the ones that aren't a problem are in the other direction. Sounds like something is preventing the lower part of the shifter from moving the rails the proper distance. With the trans cover off watch it while you shift, one thought came to mind is loose bolts on the pivot cage(is that the right term?) or maybe it's cracked and flexing when you push forward, but not on the rearward stroke.

bige
06-20-2010, 02:25 PM
It was one of the lever housing or pivot cage bolts that came loose and got wedged in there. Easy fix, thanks for the help guys.

Cheers, Ian