PDA

View Full Version : Rovers North Rock Sliders

Lord Icon
06-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Just got a set of new Galvi sliders. Waited a couple of weeks with high hopes. Was told that they are very popular. Arrived on Thurs. This sat I unpacked them from the copious amount of protective packing and bubble wrap. Total parts .... 2 rock sliders, 2 mount brackets, small bag of grade 5 hardware...... no instructions .... nope none.....
Hey , I own a Series Rover. I can fix anything. just 4 parts ...right?
After orienting the sliders to the proper side I attempted to bolt on the rear mounting bracket........ bolt goes in..... bottoms out at less than 1/4 inch. The extra metal welded onto the slider is tapped and clean of galvi. the remaining metal behind the hole is not tapped.... not tapped , nor is it drilled.... Hmmmm very useful. So glad I bought pre made rather than make myself. I also notice the slider will not fit straight with the body work, It hits the door post metal.
Any of you guys have this problem? I googled and found no help, One would think a set of install instructions would have been posted .... but I found none.
Another weekend wasted....

msggunny
06-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Its part of the joy of Series ownership.......

I doubt anyone at Rovers North made those themselves, no one is perfect.

Thanks for the heads up, through your suffering i will know what to expect when i finally get around to ordering a set for my 88.

TJR
06-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Sad to hear of your problem..

here's the instructions for mine.. (not yet installed)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kWu9LtT48aA7B7pPfJo3z7-AQtK7xY4a5eyEwENit6g?feat=directlink

...TJR

alaskajosh
06-20-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm surprised anyone can produce aftermarket bits for these things. There is too much hand-fitting, in my experience.

I've made bumper, sliders, rear bumperettes/corner protectors, roof rack, and some other things, and none of them was I able to make a pattern off one side that would perfectly fit the other side and that's just one side to the other of the SAME VEHICLE. Things were slightly out of square or otherwise irregular.

The ONLY reason my sliders match (somewhat) the body lines of my LR is because I built them in place... fabricated to fit.

I know my roof rack could not be fit to another 109.. The bulkhead hinges that I supported off of were completely out of square to the roof lines.

My rear corner protectors turned out sweet and I had wanted to make a set to ship to my LR buddy.. but I realized I'd hardly be doing him a favor when they arrived and the first thing he had to do was a bunch of work to make them fit.

Good luck with your sliders!

printjunky
06-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Josh,
I looked through most of your posts ... did you ever post pics of your corner protectors? I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with. The other stuff, too, but I've not been satisfied with any of my rear corner ideas.

Shawn

alaskajosh
06-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Josh,
I looked through most of your posts ... did you ever post pics of your corner protectors? I'd be interested in seeing what you came up with. The other stuff, too, but I've not been satisfied with any of my rear corner ideas.

Shawn

Here's a little discussion on the corner protection subject (but pics are busted):

http://roverlanders.bc.ca/roverforum/viewtopic.php?t=3349&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Here's a few pictures of the corner protectors:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/jhofoshomofo/other%20LR/december061.jpghttp://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/jhofoshomofo/other%20LR/Copy2ofIMG_3810-Copy.jpghttp://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/jhofoshomofo/other%20LR/december064.jpg

Lord Icon
06-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey, Post yer own thread. It's not like it costs much...

I Leak Oil
06-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Probably not going to get much help, certainly no sympathy, with that...

Seems like you could have drilled and tapped the hole in the amount of time you spent posting and researching the issue.

SafeAirOne
06-20-2010, 06:22 PM

I'm pretty sure your problem was solved in the 2nd reply, by TJR, who kindly provided you with the instructions you seek. Was there more?

printjunky
06-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Ouch - hijack objection noted.

mrdoiron
06-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Just got a set of new Galvi sliders. ....... I also notice the slider will not fit straight with the body work, It hits the door post metal.
Any of you guys have this problem?

I got Pangolin sliders, and also had to re-drill & bang a bit to make fit. They may be built to original specs, however 35-40 yr old vehicles don't hold their dimensions as well as Heather Locklear...

adkrover
06-21-2010, 07:37 AM
I bought a Rover because I miss the days of bloody knuckles and baling wire. I used to work on vehicles because I had to if I wanted to get where I was going. Now I do it because I enjoy it. So if you don't like having to do a little fabrication and creative thinking, maybe it's time to buy a something more like a new Toyota FJ.

As for hijacking, I think it's important to remember that a forum is simply an online conversation and of course a conversation continues to evolve. I enjoyed seeing and hearing about a few different ideas and the thought of adding rear corner protectors now has me thinking of a new project for my truck. I agree that the issue of the bolt holes was pretty well answered and unless you were looking for someone to come over and drill them for you, it sounds like you were just looking to complain and there's no reason why the conversation shouldn't move on now.

I'll even offer my my own hijack. My 109 came with the original side steps that are all rusted up. My wife would like them to be restored and put back on. I would like to put on rock sliders. Of course if I was to add sliders and the steps, the first time I used the sliders, the steps would be scraped off like bugs on the windscreen. Anyone ever seen sliders that incorporate a folding drop step???

LaneRover
06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I got Pangolin sliders, and also had to re-drill & bang a bit to make fit. They may be built to original specs, however 35-40 yr old vehicles don't hold their dimensions as well as Heather Locklear...

Remember, she has had 'work' done on her too.

mrdoiron
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Remember, she has had 'work' done on her too.

good point, but look OEM to me :thumb-up:

scott
06-21-2010, 10:06 AM
.... Anyone ever seen sliders that incorporate a folding drop step???

Fab a set of sliders with pivots and pnuematics such that the whole slider drops down for the wife then in the rest (up) position it protects. i think escalades do this. so your be the first on the block to own a cadi-over

yorker
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Fab a set of sliders with pivots and pnuematics such that the whole slider drops down for the wife then in the rest (up) position it protects. i think escalades do this. so your be the first on the block to own a cadi-over

Yeah design them right and you could use them as jacks- probably have to go hydraulic though. :D

I Leak Oil
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah design them right and you could use them as jacks- probably have to go hydraulic though. :D

Or better yet, you could design them to act as a pair of hydro foil when lowered so you can just skim across those treacherous water crossings!

Lord Icon
06-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Probably not going to get much help, certainly no sympathy, with that...

Seems like you could have drilled and tapped the hole in the amount of time you spent posting and researching the issue.

I pointed out a simple etiquette issue . Do you deny that it's rude to hyjack a thread? Kinda like butting into someone's conversation.... Or do the polite rules of society not apply to you?
I thought we were all all adults... or at least grown ups...
An ad homonym attack on the poster does not detract from the issue. Either its rude ....or not....

Lord Icon
06-21-2010, 08:13 PM
I bought a Rover because I miss the days of bloody knuckles and baling wire. I used to work on vehicles because I had to if I wanted to get where I was going. Now I do it because I enjoy it. So if you don't like having to do a little fabrication and creative thinking, maybe it's time to buy a something more like a new Toyota FJ.

As for hijacking, I think it's important to remember that a forum is simply an online conversation and of course a conversation continues to evolve. I enjoyed seeing and hearing about a few different ideas and the thought of adding rear corner protectors now has me thinking of a new project for my truck. I agree that the issue of the bolt holes was pretty well answered and unless you were looking for someone to come over and drill them for you, it sounds like you were just looking to complain and there's no reason why the conversation shouldn't move on now.

I'll even offer my my own hijack. My 109 came with the original side steps that are all rusted up. My wife would like them to be restored and put back on. I would like to put on rock sliders. Of course if I was to add sliders and the steps, the first time I used the sliders, the steps would be scraped off like bugs on the windscreen. Anyone ever seen sliders that incorporate a folding drop step???
If it's time for a new topic..... start a new thread.. seems kinda easy.
It also make looking through the data base easier for people to find stuff.
Talk about a.d.d.

Terrys
06-21-2010, 08:47 PM
If it's time for a new topic..... start a new thread.. seems kinda easy.
It also make looking through the data base easier for people to find stuff.
Talk about a.d.d.

No offense intended dude, but you really need to chill. The thread may have gone off the slider fitment issue, but if your intention is to get some help on that issue, you'll eventually figure out that most of the other posters have years of series truck experience who are willing to mull it over and come back with useful suggestions. Like all series truck owners you're going to have countless issues with your own truck which can be worked out by the group. If no one else posted anything which you found of any value, then so be it, but you'll find valuable information in every thread if you chill out and read all the posts. No OP owns the thread he starts, and you will be hard pressed to find very many if any posts with personal attacks. It really doesn't take that long to read new posts to any thread, and your time can't be that precious. Sit back and enjoy the board. This board is very much like Guns And Rovers, i.e., all the threads are casual converstions amongst people with a common interest. Think how mundane it would be if every conversation were governed by rules that they stick only to the opening remark.

thixon
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Lord Icon,

If you're gonna act like this, then just go to another board. The posters on this thread are all regulars here, and no one but you got their feelings hurt. If you're really that picky about a little deviation from the primary topic of a thread then you won't be happy here. All of us do this from time to time. and none of us get sore at each other for doing so.

crankin
06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
amcordo makes me mad sometimes...

I Leak Oil
06-22-2010, 04:56 AM
I pointed out a simple etiquette issue . Do you deny that it's rude to hyjack a thread? Kinda like butting into someone's conversation.... Or do the polite rules of society not apply to you?
I thought we were all all adults... or at least grown ups...
An ad homonym attack on the poster does not detract from the issue. Either its rude ....or not....

Since we're talking polite, I believe if you had just said " lets keep this thread on track" or something similar instead of the sarcastic comment about how much it costs to start a new topic, we wouldn't be here now.

Again, the polite rules of society would dictate that you atleast give TJR a hearty "thank you" for posting the directions.

So back on topic. Did you manage to make any progress on mounting the sliders?

adkrover
06-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Yes, how did the sliders work out? Any pictures? I'd love to get a set for my truck.

amcordo
06-22-2010, 09:08 AM
amcordo makes me mad sometimes...

I was lurking waiting for you to comment...

amcordo
06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
I've got a set of what I'm guessing are original rock sliders. (Al with steel fittings to attach them to the door frame memeber, front wings, and rear wheel well). I had to really just push and pull them into place, then using a bolt to tighten them up. If you look close they're not in the same place on either side of the truck, and they're down about 1/8" lower than they should be if the design was super tight...

I've learned in the last year that the best way to handle the issues of the rover is just to FORCE something to fit if it doesn't. Usually works.

Can you post any pics so we can see how far off things are? Maybe we can help give you some suggestions with the images on hand.

Just got a set of new Galvi sliders. Waited a couple of weeks with high hopes. Was told that they are very popular. Arrived on Thurs. This sat I unpacked them from the copious amount of protective packing and bubble wrap. Total parts .... 2 rock sliders, 2 mount brackets, small bag of grade 5 hardware...... no instructions .... nope none.....
Hey , I own a Series Rover. I can fix anything. just 4 parts ...right?
After orienting the sliders to the proper side I attempted to bolt on the rear mounting bracket........ bolt goes in..... bottoms out at less than 1/4 inch. The extra metal welded onto the slider is tapped and clean of galvi. the remaining metal behind the hole is not tapped.... not tapped , nor is it drilled.... Hmmmm very useful. So glad I bought pre made rather than make myself. I also notice the slider will not fit straight with the body work, It hits the door post metal.
Any of you guys have this problem? I googled and found no help, One would think a set of install instructions would have been posted .... but I found none.
Another weekend wasted....

Terrys
06-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I've got a set of what I'm guessing are original rock sliders.

When you say 'original' are you thinking made by Land Rover? Never heard of them.

Andrew IIA
06-22-2010, 10:53 AM
I've got a set of what I'm guessing are original rock sliders. (Al with steel fittings to attach them to the door frame memeber, front wings, and rear wheel well).
Those would be the original aluminum 'sills' rather than heavy-gauge steel 'rock sliders' that replace the sills. I love my rock sliders.

yorker
06-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I've got a set of what I'm guessing are original rock sliders. (Al with steel fittings to attach them to the door frame memeber, front wings, and rear wheel well)..

Do you mean the sill panels?

Jim-ME
06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Well at least you got yours. I'm still waiting for a pair from someone else and it has been almost 3 months.
Jim

yorker
06-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Well at least you got yours. I'm still waiting for a pair from someone else and it has been almost 3 months.
Jim

What happend to that Guns and Rovers group buy? Did they get delivered yet?

Jim-ME
06-22-2010, 12:06 PM
I missed out on that one but to the best of my knowledge they arrived to all participants.
Jim

109 Pretender
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Guys I think there's a clue in the sig.
If the "Lord" his highness can bear w/me - a little 'final adjustment' is needed for just about all parts on a Rover - at least that's my experience and I know a lot of the guys here have the same issue. It's not a problem - it's a consequence of the orig. manufacturing methods (no robots w/laser guidance back then) AND 3rd party manufacturing has to average the tolerances.

However, sometimes parts fit perfectly like my HD Ike front bumper - it lined up better than the orig. factory part. Probably just luck though.

By the way - if you need instructions for these parts you'd be better off w/ a different vehicle.

Quadruple on the chill pill though.... Otherwise your Rover is gonna make you blow a head gasket or something! :nono:

Just a thought...

Cheers!

greenmeanie
06-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I missed out on that one but to the best of my knowledge they arrived to all participants.
Jim

I think the 88 ones were delivered. Those of us wanting 109 ones are still waiting.

yorker
06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I think the 88 ones were delivered. Those of us wanting 109 ones are still waiting.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3192/2992021801_5fd4709ae6.jpg

bkreutz
06-22-2010, 02:27 PM
I believe this is why British repair manuals read "Fit" instead of "Install":D

Guys I think there's a clue in the sig.
If the "Lord" his highness can bear w/me - a little 'final adjustment' is needed for just about all parts on a Rover - at least that's my experience and I know a lot of the guys here have the same issue. It's not a problem - it's a consequence of the orig. manufacturing methods (no robots w/laser guidance back then) AND 3rd party manufacturing has to average the tolerances.

However, sometimes parts fit perfectly like my HD Ike front bumper - it lined up better than the orig. factory part. Probably just luck though.

By the way - if you need instructions for these parts you'd be better off w/ a different vehicle.

Quadruple on the chill pill though.... Otherwise your Rover is gonna make you blow a head gasket or something! :nono:

Just a thought...

Cheers!

amcordo
06-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Do you mean the sill panels?

Sills is probably a better way to refer to them - the only thing that would slide if rocks were involved would be the aluminum off the steel.

amcordo
06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
I believe this is why British repair manuals read "Fit" instead of "Install":D

ha! +1

yorker
06-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Sills is probably a better way to refer to them - the only thing that would slide if rocks were involved would be the aluminum off the steel.

Yes- I think if you even just think about going offroad with them they bend.

Les Parker
06-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Try this :-

[3473

:thumb-up:

solihull109
06-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Someone posted this earlier and it is 100% true. I work on Rovers daily(meaning I get paid to do it) and there isn't a single part, not one that just bolts on the first time. Everything has to be "touched" in one way or another. It doesn't matter who the supplier or builder of the parts are either. Just the facts.:thumb-up:
This is why I have a dedicated drawer in my toolbox solely for my hammer collection.:D

Cutter
06-22-2010, 07:54 PM
seems like a call or email to RN would have been quicker than posting on here. So just to salt yer cod, are you guys talking about a group buy from pangolin? I'm kinda dreaming of getting a set for my 109 but have to let the funds recover from my engine rebuild at overland that is underway...

mrdoiron
06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
... are you guys talking about a group buy from pangolin? ...

if you do order from pangolin, even for 1 set... be patient on the delivery time... otherwise a very solid product.
I would argue however, your local fab shop could bang out a similar version with hot dip for a similar price most likely > nothing overly complicated about this.... and they can specifically custom build to fit for you vehicles 'aged' figure...

mike

crankin
06-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I am thinking that lord icon is not really going to visit us anymore...

amcordo
06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
I am thinking that lord icon is not really going to visit us anymore...

Hopefully he'll come back. He wasn't nasty - just probably really wanted more of an answer from us. I remember when I first changed out the clutch master cylinder I was freaked out and wanted to know everything about it before I tried fixing it...

...of course once I just sat down and did it it was a piece of cake.

scott
06-23-2010, 10:37 AM
no one pays us for all this advise, and given the quality of mine nothing may be a fair price. and because i ain't paid i like to amuse myself with smarta$$ remarks. i refrained from doing so on this thread. don't know why. but lordie if ya do come back note that your thread was hijack well after ya got your answers. they may not have been what ya wanted to hear but the answers were correct. so you ask a question, a generous fool gives you some of his time by answering, then someone else has a question born of something the was added, then someone says something sarcastic (sarcasim is always funny) and then a few votes for more beer show up, then someone gets butthurt cuz they don't drink, or don't like sarcasim, or were raise an only child who had all of their parents attention and never learned to freak'n share and then i am amused

yorker
06-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I thought it was answered pretty well and right off the bat. If topics didn't drift around here we wouldn't have half the conversations we have.

I Leak Oil
06-23-2010, 11:35 AM
I thought it was answered pretty well and right off the bat. If topics didn't drift around here we wouldn't have half the conversations we have.

It was and the notes at the bottom of the RN instructions that TJR provided reinforce AlaskaJosh's statement about custom parts not always fitting. All very relavent information.

Now someone mentioned talking about beer...Scott I think it was....:cheers:

Lord Icon, come on back and enjoy a virtual cold one on me! No hard feeling here from us....

Les Parker
06-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Meandering, I think the term is, for Rover conversations, much like a IIa or III on a straight road....

adkrover
06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Cheers!

LaneRover
06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Meandering, I think the term is, for Rover conversations, much like a IIa or III on a straight road....

I have also heard 'vague' used to describe Series steering.

thixon
06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Okay, Okay,

I'm sorry I handed it to Lord Icon. Geez, you guys can lay it on thick. I'd rather talk about beer anyway.

Mr. Icon, come on back. The more the merrier. or something like that.

scott
06-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Okay, Okay,

I'm sorry I handed it to Lord Icon. Geez, you guys can lay it on thick. I'd rather talk about beer anyway...

thix, don't pussout! besides a while back i thought about starting (or hijacking cuz it's cheaper) a thread where we could vote on who we thought was the biggest sarcASStic poster. I was going to vote for you but badvibes thought about nominating me so i got butthurt and never started the thread. beer me

adkrover
06-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Get a room.

TSR53
06-23-2010, 09:50 PM
To the original post request, I'll try to get some proper directions for the rock sliders after I return from my holiday in Lake Tahoe.

As others have said, the Series Land Rover is a tough fit.

Nice entertainment boys. I've let this one play out, I'm still watching even from the hotel in Lee Vining, CA - play nice keep the thread on topic.

crankin
06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow Lake Tahoe! What part of Lake Tahoe you going to? North Shore or South Shore?

greenmeanie
06-23-2010, 10:28 PM
To the original post request, I'll try to get some proper directions for the rock sliders after I return from my holiday in Lake Tahoe.

I know of a very nice little rust free SIII sitting in the garage of a casino just on the Nevada side of the border on the north shore. Needs springs and a general tune up from sitting for so long. Just in case you fancy a busmans holiday.

jac04
06-24-2010, 07:34 AM
...keep the thread on topic.
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Lord Icon
06-24-2010, 07:31 PM
First and formost.... THANK YOU for the install instructions. The boys at Roversnorth also dispatched a set as well.

This is how the battle goes.
One side almost done.
The sliders came with the added supports drilled and tapped but not the under section, mfg error.
Tap and correct drill later all set.
The centre support tabs are out of alignment on the passenger side.
They are correct on the drivers side.... the joy of a 30 year old hodge podge.
I fabbed some 1.5 square tubing as a spacer and have started cutting off the poorly located tabs on the old girl.
The main weight carrying point in front is the body to frame mounting bolt. The instructions say to re use it and I find the length too small. I also find the shearing force to be too high for a grade 5 bolt. I am replacing it with a grade 8 , .5 inch longer bolt.
Other than that, the sliders are well made and stand out slightly from the body work.
I did however , take advice and order a matching bumper from Ike.
Decent guy , confirmed requirements, and is fabbing as we speak. I expect it in the next few days.... NOT. Quality , Price , Speed.... pick two.
I know how hard it is to do piece work , I am happy to await my girl's finishing bits. It's been 2 years from when I bought her, and I have put all of 50 feet on the odometer .
New dizzy just came in with points. Threw them in a bag, promptly replaced by a pertronix convert.
The new rubber is on a new set of 5 chrome ( gag) nugget rims, 15 inch.
New geared starter is in the post and will go in the day it comes, ya right.
The battle continues..
I told the wife that after selling my first series and getting a unimog, the regreting it. This would be my last truck, and she could bury me in it.. At the rate I'm going I will be dead before the girl has a nice coat of paint.
Oh well , It's the journey not the destination.

amcordo
06-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Oh well , It's the journey not the destination.

True that.

Welcome back! You've officially survived your trial by fire. We sic Thixon and Scott on people when they first join to weed out the weak. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Can you take some pictures? I'm sure everyone wants to see your truck!

Lord Icon
06-26-2010, 09:32 AM
The Name came from Ving Rames character in Hackers,,, like cereal killer and crash and burn. He was called LordNikon.... I just dropped the "N".
My lordship is far from acquisition. The best I've got so far is an honorary corporal from HM Royal Military Police back in Kuwait. I hoped for a OBE but alas, it was too far above my station. Great bunch of guys , they all are. Even JJ from Wales.
I may change the moniker to reflect my true character and these modern times.
My friends call me Haggis.
Can I get a vote?
In true off topic sense, it would be great if someone else started a poll for my name change... ya know, just to keep the a.d.d....

Lord Icon
06-26-2010, 05:30 PM
file:///Users/kheikkila/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png
The first of many projects. One slider down . One to go..

SafeAirOne
06-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Looks like the sliders are comiong along well now!:thumb-up:

Forgive me if this seems a bit...forward, but having looked at the pics, I can't help but wonder about your initial concern that the sliders might be slightly out of alignment with the bodywork (and therefore not asthetically pleasing to the eye?).;) :D

mrdoiron
06-27-2010, 12:28 AM
file:///Users/kheikkila/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png
The first of many projects. One slider down . One to go..

Is this sitting on a new chassis ?? (3rd pic)

mike

Lord Icon
06-27-2010, 05:05 AM
Looks like the sliders are comiong along well now!:thumb-up:

Forgive me if this seems a bit...forward, but having looked at the pics, I can't help but wonder about your initial concern that the sliders might be slightly out of alignment with the bodywork (and therefore not asthetically pleasing to the eye?).;) :D
Geez Paint ain't everything. ... And no, the olg girl will not be going out in public with that look.
It is a bit of an eye sore.

SafeAirOne
06-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Geez Paint ain't everything. ... And no, the olg girl will not be going out in public with that look.
It is a bit of an eye sore.

I dunno...clean up the edges of the stripes a bit and the paint job will certainly set yours apart from any other Series Rover that might be driving around in your village/town/city! That and the rock sliders, of course.

Lord Icon
06-27-2010, 05:15 AM
Is this sitting on a new chassis ?? (3rd pic)

mike

Yup. I bought the rainbow of colour basket case in mid restore. The po had done a frame up restore, mainly due to lack of good frame when the parts were yanked out of the junk yard. This rig came from bits from the old rover grave yard in Marlboro NH on 101 . At last count it is at least 6 trucks. It was 5 but just found out the hard way that the axles on my "series 3" are not series 3.... lug nuts bought for the new rims do not fit.... Ah, must be series 2a.
So I bought a rolling project. Last po did frame and brakes and lines. new axle limiters. new oem springs,( heavens know why as parabolics are way better and lighter and cost less)
If funding continues, a new set of roll up window doors are next to buy.
To the right of my keyboard is a new geared starter that will go in today.
Ike has my $$ and is fabbing the front bumper . Just swapped out the steering wheel for a pilot 15 inch. Great mod , that. Gives way more room for the beer gut. No more auto steer when I let my breath out....

I Leak Oil
06-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Looking good and glad you're making progress. I kinda like the color scheme....

amcordo
06-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Yup. I bought the rainbow of colour basket case in mid restore. The po had done a frame up restore, mainly due to lack of good frame when the parts were yanked out of the junk yard. This rig came from bits from the old rover grave yard in Marlboro NH on 101 . At last count it is at least 6 trucks. It was 5 but just found out the hard way that the axles on my "series 3" are not series 3.... lug nuts bought for the new rims do not fit.... Ah, must be series 2a.
So I bought a rolling project. Last po did frame and brakes and lines. new axle limiters. new oem springs,( heavens know why as parabolics are way better and lighter and cost less)
If funding continues, a new set of roll up window doors are next to buy.
To the right of my keyboard is a new geared starter that will go in today.
Ike has my $$ and is fabbing the front bumper . Just swapped out the steering wheel for a pilot 15 inch. Great mod , that. Gives way more room for the beer gut. No more auto steer when I let my breath out....

Can you tell me more about the steering wheel mod? I've never heard of that - and I'd like a smaller steering wheel. Is it a direct swap? Details man, details! :)

adkrover
06-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm amazed that you were even slightly surprised that the sliders were not a direct "bolt on" installation considering that your truck never actually rolled off the Rover assembly line as a complete vehicle. At least not all at the same time. With a frame swap, axles and body panels from 5 (or 6) different trucks from different years, your lucky that anything lines up correctly.

I think you or Rover's North an apology.

adkrover
06-27-2010, 11:05 AM
owe

printjunky
06-27-2010, 03:50 PM
+1 on the steering wheel mod details request.

Errr, not that I have a beer gut issue to resolve some way other than by losing said non-existent beer gut ... :rolleyes:

siiirhd88
06-27-2010, 06:53 PM
If you do a search for "Mountney" there are two threads about smaller diameter steering wheels. Mountney in England make the wheels in a couple of different diameters.

A very late Triumph Spitfire steering wheel has the same hub size as the late SIIA / SIII column. Not sure what year Spitfire, but I'm sure it is later than 1975.

Bob

Lord Icon
06-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Gonna start a new thread as it is a new topic and may interest others ...

S11A
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
...then someone says something sarcastic (sarcasm is always funny)...

There's sarcasm on the Interweb? Really? :D

scott
07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
There's sarcasm on the Interweb? Really? :D

nope, no sarcasim here, not allowed don't ya know, nope, gore won't allow it no sir, not here...