PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh, the lower dash conversation, again

printjunky
06-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Mine is SHOT! I could put my finger through several spots, I'm sure.

Coupla questions:

1. These are basically unavailable?
2. If found or available are crazy expensive?

I haven't seen any out there, though I haven't dug too deeply into UK sources yet.

And has anyone attempted any MAJOR repairs on theirs.

My next option will be to look at fabbing something ... use mine as a plug to make a mold and fiberglass a new (nev-r-rust) lower dash?

txffjim
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Mine is SHOT! I could put my finger through several spots, I'm sure.

Coupla questions:

1. These are basically unavailable?
2. If found or available are crazy expensive?
I haven't seen any out there, though I haven't dug too deeply into UK sources yet.

And has anyone attempted any MAJOR repairs on theirs.

My next option will be to look at fabbing something ... use mine as a plug to make a mold and fiberglass a new (nev-r-rust) lower dash?

1*Yes they are. If you enjoy the sound of laughter you can call Rover parts dealers.
2*Yes if in good condition, took me 4 months of searching to find a decent one that matched the rest of the interior.
*UK would be best source, even if you could get one "cheap" shipping would still be outrageous.
*another option would be a bunch of modifications on a defender model to make it fit.
Good luck

printjunky
06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Jim thanks for the confirmations. Did you have to do any work to the dash you found? I guess mine is just beyond repair ...

If it were just the top shelf piece, I could easily fab something. But the bottom edge is totally shot as well, so attachment, while solid before I pulled it, would likely be tenuous after some bouncing around (ie: the first time I crank it up and drive it). And the vent flaps (shockingly still working smoothly) is madly rusted.

To be honest (and is this my first bout of Metal Dash envy?) it looks pretty cool without the lower. And I always hated the "package tray." Too deep to not basically lose everything you throw up there. Of course it was really just a symptom of the oddly engineered air box.

Buuuuut, I'm not quite that much of a non-purista. And I do like the classic Rover-y look of the original (and there's a place to put the other gauges and, of course, move the heated air around).

I have some pretty interesting ideas about a fiberglas replica ... hafta do some more research on mold-making. Would allow a measure of customization (4 gauges? 5? Shallower package tray? Integral radio/speaker mounts?) And would allow a true ducted demist/heat option (and how about an inline fan to the windscreen for "turbo Demist?"

The defender dash sounds tempting. I'll hafta do some research. See what that entails.