PDA

View Full Version : fairly new to rovers

feildpickedrover
06-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Hello, I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now looking to figure out various problems on my 65 series 2a, and I've gotten along fairly well, some great info to be had. As for my Rover, My grandpa bought it in 1991 from a previous owner who had installed a ford 302 engine in it(i still have the bell housing adapter if anyone's interested) and he had also acquired a 69 series 2a wagon from my uncle around the same time, used the engine to replace the blown 302 and pretty much stripped it to just tub bulkhead and frame. in 92 my grandpa rolled it and replaced the top, hood, breakfast, and drivers fender/door, so its now blue and red, then he parked it in the field across from his house for 25 years and told me to take it about 3 years ago because he couldn't get it in gear(i think he was afraid of it personally), thanks to info i found on this forum i have it running, moving under its own power and stopping without the handbrake for the first time in almost 30 years, so thanks everyone for all the helpful info, turned out the clutch was locked to the flywheel, i just popped it apart and reinstalled and it moved again:thumb-up:. Oh and i also have a lot of parts i don't need and i may be willing to swap for parts i do need.

martindktm
06-23-2010, 04:41 AM
Where's the picture of the beast??

feildpickedrover
06-23-2010, 05:20 AM
I don't own a camera sadly, though I'm planning on getting pics up eventually, because i want before pics, i plan on painting it before putting it back on the road, i plan on driving it daily until i can buy an engine for my car. oh, by the way, does anyone know if the origional 16 inch rims would be tubeless? i want to go to those instead of the 15s currently on it.

yorker
06-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Orioginal 16" rims aren't tubeless. A lot of people do run them tubeless though. If you don't mind running tubeless tires on rims with no safety bead seat then go for it. There are tubeless later 16" rims. ANR4583 is one.

What is wrong with your 15" rims though?

feildpickedrover
06-23-2010, 07:16 AM
i cant afford new tires and most of the local used tire shops carry 16 inch tires more often than 15 inch, and i also have a full set of 265 75r16 tires the tires that are on it now are so dry rotted that i can peel and flake the sidewalls

yorker
06-23-2010, 07:43 AM
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2834-road-wheel-65-x-16-2-34-offset-vented.aspx

FWIW:
Old 16" rims are probably 5.5" wide.

BF Goodrich's website has the below table:
265/75R16 min rim width 7" max 8.5"

feildpickedrover
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
thanks for the link, ill have to buy a set of those when i can afford it, as for the tires i guess mine wont work, too bad:(.
on a side note, my dad kept telling me to use a set of 31x10.50 15 tires i had here(sold them to my cousin a month ago though) im just curious, would they have worked?

yorker
06-23-2010, 07:59 AM
31X10.50R15LT min rim width 7,00 Max rim width 9,00

However a lot of people have used them on the Series 15" rims. I used a set for a while, they tend to balloon out a lot more beyond the rim and look kind of strange.

You can probably get away with the 265's on the narrower rims too, I am sure I have seen that before too. The manufacturer of the tires don't recommend it however.

If it were me and the 15" rims were ok, I'd just put an inexpensive set of 235-75-15s on them and call it good for now.

If you have more money to spend then get 30X9.50R15LT or 33X9.50r15's if you can find them.

There really is nothing wrong with LR 15" rims.

yorker
06-23-2010, 08:06 AM
To muddy the waters a bit- if you can source a cheap set of narrow 16" rims there are some good deals on 7.50 16s here:
7.50X16 Cooper Courser Traction LT, NEW MUD GRIP TIRES $79 ea (http://www.nebraskatire.com/hot_deals/light_truck/lt_truck_hot_deals.htm)

feildpickedrover
06-23-2010, 08:16 AM
thanks for the links again, that's a really good price for those tires, now i have my eye on the interco express tires at the bottom, a 10 ply tire for 79 bucks is a good deal and they seem close to the tread on my spare(which i believe is original)

yorker
06-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Those intercos would be good too, I forgot to mention them.

crankin
06-23-2010, 08:36 AM
Also check out craigslist and see if anyone has any up for sell in your area...

My two cents: Keep the parts you think you do not need right now. As you start working and rebuilding things you might find out you need them. Once everything is the way you want it, think about selling them then.

feildpickedrover
06-23-2010, 08:50 AM
well, i have a spare tub, the rear station wagon door (I have the tailgaite on mine, but the parts truck was a wagon) a spare breakfast, and a spare seat box, ive also got the safari roof with slideing windows on it currently, but i would like to find the standard roof with the smaller oval windows(i have one, but it was damaged when my grandpa rolled it) and ive also got the parts to install a ford 302 into a rover, im trying to get the truck on the road with minimal $$ I currently dont have a job and my car has a blown engine, only thing i need now is a slave cylindar rebuild (clutch returns very slowly, and its leaking fluid) a brake master cylindar(leaks) tires, starter motor because the terminal broke, and a blinker lense, i could get all those for less than an engine would cost, but i would love to build it up with the standard top, or even a soft top, im willing to trade the rear door for something, and i was hoping to find someone willing to swap tops with me in pennsylvania

yorker
06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Where in PA are you?

kevkon
06-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I'd be interested in the tropical top. Tell me what you want for it. I could swap you for a regular top if you could wait a bit.

feildpickedrover
06-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Im in Northeastern Pennsylvania about 20 min from scranton, and about an hour from binghampton new york, and i would love a swap for a standard top, however, the tropical top i have isn't perfect by any means tracks/seals for the windows are rotted and i had to pull them out just to get the windows open, same with my door windows, they open and close, but rattle and don't seal priced the seals and tracks at the host site and they weren't that much money, i also still have the original roof, it appears to gust be bent at the front drivers side corner, i was going to straiten it, but the windows and seals disappeared over the past few years, the spare parts are still at my grandpas and hes been on me to get them out of there, but, the trop top seems to be in good shape otherwise as for the back door, the windows missing in that as well, im not sure where you would find glass, but the frame and tire mount seem to be in really good shape

HybridIIA
06-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I am looking for a tropical top and would be interested in some sort of swap for my standard hardtop (fixed oval window version). Please PM if interested. Thanks.

galen216
06-24-2010, 06:51 AM
If you're truck is in PA and has a 302 in it more than likely it passed through the hands of the Shevchiks (sp?) in State College. They were known for picking up any Series truck around the state and for installing 302's in them.

Check out roversclub.org as there are many Series owners and general LR nuts not far away from you.

TriedStone
06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9508&highlight=7.50x16

Good stock looking 7.50's. If you buy five I bet you could get them for 300.

jeremiah at proffittscruisers dot com

You'll have to ask for Jeremiah, John is off on the Alaskan Land Cruiser trek.