PDA

View Full Version : SER III Lightweight - Before / After + VOTE pls

mrdoiron
06-24-2010, 01:00 AM
So I got rid of the hideous green on the Ser III Ltwt, and with some advice from Jac04 got it stripped to bare metal (much patience this step), and got ph1 Painted to SAND... so far not bad, but certainly lots of work to do...

I want to get different wheels eventually, however until then I want to paint the wheels - so looking for a VOTE on what color :

1. BLACK or

2. SAND ?

Appreciate the feedback... thx, mike

I Leak Oil
06-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Truck looks good!
I vote for black wheels. (I'd get different wheels too, those spokers don't look right on a series truck IMO.)

SafeAirOne
06-24-2010, 04:59 AM
Truck looks good!
I vote for black wheels. (I'd get different wheels too, those spokers don't look right on a series truck IMO.)

I've always thought the same thing. I prefer the already-black NATO tubeless steel rims or the original Rover-type (dunlop?) steel rims. Of course, painting the pictured rims black will give them a much more subtle look.

TriedStone
06-24-2010, 06:19 AM
1 vote sand, definitely new wheels. Your paint looks good did you use the same as Jac04?

Terrys
06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
X4 on the rims. American Racing aren't that strong either. Black

mrdoiron
06-24-2010, 06:36 AM
1 vote sand, definitely new wheels. Your paint looks good did you use the same as Jac04?

the paint is a little lighter shade than Jac's 33446 Desert Sand, but in the same neighborhood. Still waiting to see if this lighter shade grows on me.

I also have the orig wheels also, they need work as they've got corrosion etc, so trying to decide if I work on them, or go for something less traditional. It definitely doesn't hold a candle to Jac's btw...as I'm not replacing very much structurally at this point, frame etc not bad for a 1980 already & re-coated... so more of a cleanup for now.

mike

mrdoiron
06-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Truck looks good!
For sure spokers will be going, but until I get another longer term sol'n would like to change them from the white - appreciate the comments.

Tim Smith
06-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Well if it helps your decision, this is what your wheels could look like if you painted them with truck bed liner black. I think black wheels work on a lightweight a little better because of all the acreage of wheel well. By painting them almond or body color, I think you are going for a stock look and my truck is definitely not stock.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Mw8MF8Gu0DU/SqcNGneSzLI/AAAAAAAAD58/FgnSig9E-fQ/s144/DSC00837.JPG (http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rVmpdWwv27lB9ENwC_O5a6Iu1GTsh0sESXJK-vCVpuw?feat=embedwebsite)

The paint is already chipping a bit on that front wheel but it's easy to just mask it off and touch up. Cheap too. :thumb-up:

More random pics here (http://picasaweb.google.com/smithco1/BumbaFlysAgain?authkey=Gv1sRgCNuGz8i8oOje6AE&feat=directlink).

jac04
06-24-2010, 07:28 AM
I voted for "Other":
Black for the spoked wheels. It will make them less obvious.
Sand if you are going back to the original wheels.

Either way, the Lightweight looks great!

Check out telwyn's web site for black wheels on a tan Lightweight:
http://web.mac.com/eelwyn/Pokey/Home_Page.html

mrdoiron
06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I voted for "Other":
Black for the spoked wheels. It will make them less obvious.
Sand if you are going back to the original wheels.

Either way, the Lightweight looks great!

Check out telwyn's web site for black wheels on a tan Lightweight:
http://web.mac.com/eelwyn/Pokey/Home_Page.html

Thanks - this helps ...

What are your thoughts on painting the grill black also ? Since I'm not exactly going for that 'purist look' that is...

SGS714
06-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks - this helps ...

What are your thoughts on painting the grill black also ? Since I'm not exactly going for that 'purist look' that is...

Leave grill alone....Should be Galv. I guess I am of the camp that feels they are trucks first and fashion statements...well never. Especially Mil-Spec ones. I have admired the bare metal grills forever.

jac04
06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
What are your thoughts on painting the grill black also ?
Mine was black and it looked a little goofy. I stripped the paint to find nice galv. underneath.

If you want to paint it, I say paint it tan along with the front bumper & bumperettes. I also think that painting the fender flares tan would look nice.

Here is a reference picture for the tan bumper & flares (along with a black grille):

mrdoiron
06-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Mine was black and it looked a little goofy. I stripped the paint to find nice galv. underneath.
:

I tend to agree, the grill now has very good shape Galv, I'll leave it.

thx

JackIIA
06-24-2010, 03:48 PM
and it's up to a tie! sand all the way!

looks great regardless of what you decide on.

greenmeanie
06-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Leave grill alone....Should be Galv. I guess I am of the camp that feels they are trucks first and fashion statements...well never. Especially Mil-Spec ones. I have admired the bare metal grills forever.

MOD spec trucks would have the grille painted to match the overall camo scheme. Bare galvy is prettier but not 'mil-spec' other than for a few parade vehicles.

Rineheitzgabot
06-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Mike,

Love the ride.

I am glad to see the wagon wheels going. I am of the opinion that you should paint the new wheels black, as well. I don't know why, but I think it looks the least vain, as all Rovers are utilitarian, first. But I think MOD vehicles look beautiful with black rims (or mil green, IF the vehicle is mil green). The only reason is the vanity thing. I have no real knowledge of orginality and how it relates to ex-MOD vehicles.

Keep up the good work.

-Gary

SafeAirOne
06-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Funny...Everyone's posted pics of air portables with tan rims, black rims, galv grille, black grille, green paint, etc., and I haven't seen a bad looking airportable among any of them. I don't think you can go wrong, no matter what you do! :thumb-up:

mrdoiron
06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Mike,

Love the ride.

I am glad to see the wagon wheels going. I am of the opinion that you should paint the new wheels black, as well. I don't know why, but I think it looks the least vain, as all Rovers are utilitarian, first. But I think MOD vehicles look beautiful with black rims (or mil green, IF the vehicle is mil green). The only reason is the vanity thing. I have no real knowledge of orginality and how it relates to ex-MOD vehicles.

Keep up the good work.

-Gary'

Going to try and drop off the orig wheels this weekend for bead blast, then powder coat (color still pending).... See enclosed if you gents think this is worth it for these 235/85 R16's... actually have 6 of the rims...obviously new rubber required.

thanks, mike

mrdoiron
06-26-2010, 11:33 AM
'

Going to try and drop off the orig wheels this weekend for bead blast, then powder coat (color still pending).... See enclosed if you gents think this is worth it for these 235/85 R16's... actually have 6 of the rims...obviously new rubber required.

thanks, mike

Got the original 16" wheels bead-blasted clean this morning, what a difference... (below). Cost = 1 box Bud lite + 1 box Corona. (Good deal).

Powder coat this afternoon - pretty sure I'm going black - will post after...

cheers, mike

Bud
06-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Sand.

-Between Jack's truck, and the image he posted of another truck, a Sand Lightweight deserves Sand rover wheels.

Brett

TriedStone
06-26-2010, 06:30 PM
just a thought but I recently went through the trouble of sandblasting some wheels and spent umpteen hours coating them with por-15 only to find out 2 were bent. might be worth a stop off at the tire shop and have them check before you get them coated (in sand of course ;) )

mrdoiron
06-26-2010, 11:14 PM
just a thought but I recently went through the trouble of sandblasting some wheels and spent umpteen hours coating them with por-15 only to find out 2 were bent. might be worth a stop off at the tire shop and have them check before you get them coated (in sand of course ;) )
for sure, did that....

jac04
06-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Mike- I saw the picture of the black powder coated wheel that you posted on the other thread. Looks good!

mrdoiron
06-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Mike- I saw the picture of the black powder coated wheel that you posted on the other thread. Looks good!

Thanks, since the vote was a dead tie... I went for black to allow a little future versatility should I decide to change the vehicle color, the wheels would be one less worry.

Once I get the tires on, and mounted to the truck I'll post again...

cheers, mike