PDA

View Full Version : Rover Steering Wheel

Lord Icon
06-27-2010, 08:39 PM
I have started down another series rebuild. The last one was everything but the frame, this time it was the frame first.
As I am 25 stone bone dry and slightly more when wet, I need every extra inch between me and the steering wheel.
My last series, I went the mourtney way and it worked ok. Many of us have done this and the off road stability of such a wimpy wheel is evident at the end of the day as seen by the now off centre and bent thing you are clutching.
For greenlaning its fine, we yanks that enjoy true off-roading need more strength.
I like pilot as a brand. They have many kinds of wheels on offer and are easy to obtain. I am quite fond of the repro style banjo with walnut..... the price , not so much.
The problem is the centre hole thing. Very rover , bastard of a reproduction, very expensive.
I found a way to use this centre and add a mount , made of aluminum so any pilot wheel fits up easy.
I'm beat, Ill get photos and more info tomorrow.
Cheers
Kris

Lord Icon
06-28-2010, 05:12 PM
so. You will need a hack saw....
take the saw and saw off the 3 posts that come off the centre . Next, remove the center cup thing. what you now have is a perfect centre boss for the upgrade, no fooling around with drill presses and the like .
Again with the saw, cut the large amount of black plastic off, if done correctly , you will be left with a small metal centre about 1.5 inches around.
I put said object on a lathe and turned it clean. measure across, this will be your hole diameter for the aluminum blank you now need to turn. then push the boss into the turned blank.
I know I know, seems hard and very confusing.
Go to autozone, buy a cheap pilot wheel. now you have the mounting hole pattern. Give said boss ( unturned) and the wheel to your local metal shop and say, My man , please put this thing in a piece of aluminum, turn it to the size of the steering wheel I also am giving you.
An apprentice can do the job in about an hour, ( I did).
Barring that, cut yer boss out , cut off all the extra plastic crap off and send it to me, wrapped in a clean crisp $100 bill , RN gift certs work just as well and are often 10 % off. Send in small flat rate box. Add a fiver for return postage. I will send back a billet cut aluminum adapter, pre tapped for screws.
I am taking photos today so the above instructions will seem clearer.

I'd sell the idea to anyone for the asking, but as it has to do with steering, the larger the company the more likely they are to get sued, so no one wants the liability. As for me, I am selling this for decoration only.

fishguy
07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I am taking photos today so the above instructions will seem clearer.

Lord icon, you ever get those photos?