PDA

View Full Version : Easy access now

GeoffWillis
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey folks,
Just pulled the 2.5 na diesel out to make it easier to put the parts back on. While I've got it out, I thought I'd add power steering. Any idea of what's involved in doing that? Other than the obvious stuff like another pulley, a pump, what needs to be done to the "Front end" while I've got the engine out? For now, I've got to put all the new parts back on, (Timing gears, belt, tensioner, water pump, lift pump, injection pump).
Some shots of the engine:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31277813@N06/4744345594/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31277813@N06/4744345554/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31277813@N06/4744345522/

SafeAirOne
06-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Isn't that a bit like removing the rear axle assembly to replace the rear brakes?? :D

I like the photo's of your engine--It's interesting spotting the differences between your (presumably) older version and my allegedly "newer" version of the 2.5.

What's that black hose that runs behind your oil filter down to...the oil drain plug, it looks like...?

I also see that you have a hose running into the center of the intake manifold. Where does that hose go? I only have a blank boss on the manifold there.

Let's see...The fuel pump is completely different, your oil filter housing isn't setup with the oil cooler fittings, no oil temp sender installed and you've got a flywheel timing mark access cover--I have just a flat boss there.

Odd...I always presumed that all MoD 2.5s had oil coolers fitted, but I guess not.

I also see that you're making good use of those 2.5 timing pins...:)

GeoffWillis
07-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Sorry I've been away (Work interfers with life!), but I laughed my tail off about your rear end removal to change brakes comment! Long story but I was laying under rover putting the oil sump back on when I almost tore my rotator cuff (would be 5th time) so decided to lift that sucker out. As to the various houses, one goes down to the oil sump as a drain, the other connects to a "Y" type fitting not shown that goes to the vacume pump. Your comments about the oil cooler caught my eye, not quite sure what it's supposed to look like but I sometimes wonder if the engine is not rover engine but maybe a perkins. There is a metal plate rivited to where the serial number should be giving rebuild date, contract number etc. Yea, really good use of the flywheel allignment pin! The bummer is that the "Special tool" for the injector pump doesn't fit (Got from UK) so I'm having one made at the local machine shop, they kinda enjoy the break from the ordinarly. BUT, the real question today is I've got the engine on a stand and been putting timing belt, tensioner... all back on and went to rotate the engine and scared myself to death! Once the engine got about 20 deg past vertical it darn near fliped the stand over as the heavy end headed south! So, now I'm looking at a stand with a geared head to rotate the engine! Problem is, the ones I can afford are only rated to 1000 pounds, which I doubt the engines weighs, but does andybody know???