PDA

View Full Version : Frame Swap Question

KHiller
06-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm not sure if anyone here can help with this or not, but I have a question regarding the frame on 34300021A. I acquired the car about 2.5 years ago and have little knowledge of its history. Everyone tells me the frame must be rusted out if it's the original frame, but it's not rusted much at all, near as I can tell. So, I tend to think it has been replaced sometime in its past. But, the serial number on the frame matches the body. Therefore, the question I have, is it possible the factory stamped the original serial number into a replacement frame for the previous owner (who is deceased)?

Thanks
Kevin

TriedStone
06-29-2010, 05:25 PM
The frame on my 1959 is in great shape and original. A lot of it depends on where the truck spent its life and how it was used and maintained. To my limited knowledge aftermarket frames do not have serial numbers stamped in them. Chances are yours is original too.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3091&d=1271631250

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3090&d=1271631250

greenmeanie
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Nothing too special about an original frame in the south west and center of the country. All three of my trucks are running on theirs and its a big year if thety see more than 10 days with moisture. Salt - what's that then?

If youwant to make it last then do some research into Waxoyl or its alternatives.

carl k
06-30-2010, 12:32 AM
My NADA 109 is on it's original frame, also. The frame number on the horn is easy to read. My truck was from Colorado, then Nevada, now in CA.

The NADA 109 frames have some unique features such as the funky exhaust hanger brackets (see attachment).

regards,
Carl

4flattires
06-30-2010, 08:05 AM
Be a history detective. If your missing rust on everything else, then the frame would seem to be original, not replaced. Look for bolts that seem to be in place for decades, patina that matches (or doesn't), rubber items that are showing their age, all the things that suggest it has not been tampered with.

The owner may be deceased but there are family members and paperwork that have clues.

crankin
06-30-2010, 08:42 AM
I remember reading once where someone was doing a frame off restro and "re-stamped" the serial number back onto the new frame. I know that this seems to be going overboard on the restoration just a bit…but I have seen crazier things.

My first thoughts would be that the frame is original….but you never know.

KHiller
06-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys. You've all been a great help. My frame looks almost exactly like TriedStone's and the fasteners look untouched. I'll consider it the original frame from here forward.
As to asking any family members or looking for paperwork from the original owner, that's not possible. He was the last of his family and there were no records found after his death. He was married to his first of 3 wives when he bought the Rover, but she died about a year before he did.

Thanks again.
Kevin Hiller

Les Parker
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm in "chassis" envy !!
All the Series and 90/110 frames I have had the pleasure of sharing my skin and blood with (on both sides of the Atlantic) are a sight sorrier than these fine examples!. The metal eating rats and mice are obviously more active in the East.
If any one of the West Coast has a good 88" frame they need shot of, please let me know !!