PDA

View Full Version : 2.25 Question

usadventureracing
06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
I was wondering if anyone can help me. My IIa stalls when I stop at lights or stop signs.

So far I replaced;

plugs
condenser
fuel pump
fuel filter

I rebuilt the carb and set the points and timing.

I was wondering if it could be a vacuum leak?

Thanks in advance,

Brett

albersj51
06-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Try pulling the choke. If it doesn't stall perhaps you're generator isn't keeping up? Of course the red charge light would probably be on as well. Mine does this if I driVe it a lot at night with the headlights on. I plan to do the alternator conversion very soon

usadventureracing
06-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Previous owner installed an alternator.

Nium
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
If you are suspect of the vacuum here's a link to a site with explanations of using a vacuum gauge and the expected results http://moodle.student.cnwl.ac.uk/moodledata_shared/cdx%20etextbook/dswmedia/toolsEquip/hpt/measuring/vacgauge.html

Though it would probably run really crappy across the board if it was a vacuum leak but a hand held vac gauge can be helpful in diagnosing issues.

Never hurts to check the low tension lead if your running a 25D4 distributor.

Cheers!

Lalo88DK
06-30-2010, 05:19 AM
I had exactly the same problem with my series III 2,25 petrol, I bought a new Zenith 36 IV Carburetter (poor quality copy from china/India) and that particular problem was solved. A lot of new problems came to life though :mad:.

usadventureracing
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Thank you for everyones reply, I checked with a vacuum gauge and I am at 15, so I think I am good.

I ordered a new weber carb today.

Brett

gudjeon
06-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Pull on the choke section of the carb back while it is idling. This may show the dreaded zenith warp if it dies doing this. I had a weird problem of it stalling when I stopped in reverse. Also, if it just won't idle, or dies quickly, the slow speed running jet may be plugged.

Bon Chance!

NickDawson
06-30-2010, 09:55 PM
will it idle at other times? For instance, you can start it and just let it run?
You said it dies at lights and stop signs, what about in the driveway?

usadventureracing
07-01-2010, 10:55 AM
I can get it to idle only happens after I am driving and come to a stop.

scott
07-01-2010, 11:05 AM
how are your motor mounts? i recently had issue where the ambi would idle really high at lights. turns out the mounts were so wasted the the engine would move forward & backward enough to stretch or compress the throttle linkage

usadventureracing
07-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Ok replaced the carb with a new weber and she is running good now. Now I just want to convert to a pointless ignition.:D