PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer bulb removal

SeriesShorty
06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
Since I ran out of light I figured I'd come in and clean up the speedometer. How the heck do you get the bulb out? It's got a ring of raised "teeth" around it so I can't get ahold of the bulb to twist and pull.

What am I overlooking?

Thanks!
J

feildpickedrover
06-29-2010, 11:06 PM
well, if its like my rover, you dont pull, it just twists out, threaded like a house bulb, or an old style flashlight bulb

crankin
06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
well, if its like my rover, you dont pull, it just twists out, threaded like a house bulb, or an old style flashlight bulb

What he said.

Les Parker
06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Pic. of the speedo bulb :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1101-dash-bulb-series.aspx

siiirhd88
06-30-2010, 09:43 AM
You might try the end of a short length of rubber tubing to 'grab' the bulb while you turn. Use tubing that is smaller than the bulb, of course. If the bulb is bad I have used an instant cyanocrylate (sp?) Krazy Glue to attach the rubber tubing before removing the bulb.

Bob

SeriesShorty
06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Maybe my speedo is different than everyone elses. But these teeth that ring the bulb make it impossible to grab, they flare over the sides of the bulb. And worse, the bulb is inset almost flush with the body of the speedo. It's a Jaeger speedo. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight.

I'm figgin' to take the needle nose pliers to it! :p

scott
06-30-2010, 12:55 PM
i think those little teeth you're seeing are part of LR's anti theft systems that keep the bulbs from being stolen or they'r there to hold the bulb socket in place. smash the bulb, reach in with you needle nose and twist it's guts out, counter clockwise of course

crankin
06-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah those teeth keep it attached to the housing. We all have them....

It is a little bit of a pain to unscrew the bulb...but it can be done. You might try to spray some WD40 or P.B. blaster around the base of the bulb. It could be corroded into a semi permanent position.