PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Vibration

jac04
06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I have a NRP stainless exhaust on the Lightweight. The problem is that I get a nasty exhaust vibration at a certain engine rpm, especially when decelerating. I know it's the exhaust since I can rev the engine until I hear/feel the vibration, then look under the vehicle and see the exhaust vibrating. The NRP system doesn't use the "ball and socket" type joint in the intermediate pipe like the stock system does, and I think that's part of the problem.

I'm wondering if a stainless flex coupling will help isolate the engine from the rest of the exhaust while still maintaining the proper routing (which is very close to the chassis with the NRP system). Has anyone ever installed a flex coupling in the exhaust? If so, where did you put it? Any other suggestions? I've also contacted NRP and am awaiting their recommendations.

scott
06-30-2010, 01:06 PM
mine was custom made and replaces the 1st section

SafeAirOne
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
I've got a 6" braided flexible section up near the front of my exhaust system. The adapted downpipe from the 2.5 diesel exhaust manifold makes a 90 degree bend outboard and aft and joins the flex section under the bulkhead outrigger, which is connected to the remainder of the exhaust system. I did this a few years ago to avoid a repeat of diesel engine vibration-induced exhaust destruction. I haven't seen any evidence of a problem since.

jac04
06-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Mark- Do you have any pictures?
NRP offered to send me a flex section, but they didn't offer any suggestions about where to put it or how it attaches (clamps or weld-in).

Anyhow, I just got through creating a new center hanger which utilizes a late model rubber hanger (in the shape of an 8, if you know what I mean). This is much more forgiving than the hanger I was using, which used a piece of nylon tow strap as the hanger. With any luck, this should get rid of that nasty little vibration. Otherwise, I'll have to start planning the flex installation.

SafeAirOne
06-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Mark- Do you have any pictures?

Do I have any pictures? Pictures of this tiny part of my exhaust system?

Well of course I do. Who wouldn't?:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4750603981_45e9026049_b.jpg

Funny, it doesn't look nearly as stainless steel as it did in the bin at the VIP Auto Parts store a few years ago...

yorker
07-01-2010, 09:19 AM
Do I have any pictures? Pictures of this tiny part of my exhaust system?

Well of course I do. Who wouldn't?:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4750603981_45e9026049_b.jpg

Funny, it doesn't look nearly as stainless steel as it did in the bin at the VIP Auto Parts store a few years ago...

That is kind of funny, a friend of mine used a Banks(or maybe Borla?) stainless steel cat back system on his JK and replaced the cat with a section of aluminized regular exhaust, 3 years later the stainless is in way worse shape than the aluminized- go figure.

jac04
07-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Good news - the new hanger seems to have helped a lot. I still think the best ultimate solution is a flex coupling, so I'll put that on my "things to do in my spare time" list.

scott
07-02-2010, 10:01 AM
i don't have any cool pics like safeair does but mine is forward of where his is, the other side of that 90` bend