PDA

View Full Version : If you were building a rear harness...

SeriesShorty
06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
What color wiring would you use for the brakes, turn signals, etc.?

I can swipe some free wiring for work that is a little heavier gauge than what would be required, nicely prebundled already, but most wires are the same color. But they are all numbered so they would be easy to trace. So if I don't use this free wiring I'll need to build my own harness and can't decide on the colors to use.

What would/did you do if you were starting from scratch?

pisten-bully
06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
I'd recommend jacketed 14-4 cable. Red/Brown/Yellow/Green is one easy to find combination. Here's an example: http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/WT14-4/TRAILER%20CABLE%204%20CONTACT%2014%20GA/
... and you'll see they require a 100' minimum order! But if you look around, truck supply stores, trailer supply stores, etc. you'll likely find someone to sell you only the footage you require.

SafeAirOne
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
If I were building from scratch, I'd have a look at the schematic and order the correct size/color wires (by the meter) from British Wiring (http://www.britishwiring.com), as RN doesn't sell bulk wire. BW stocks pretty much all of the right colors. That way, you won't need a decoder chart AND the schematic to troubleshoot later on down the road.

mongoswede
06-30-2010, 06:28 PM
I'd stick with a common color for all ground wires...whether it be black or brown...a common practice anyways. For power I'd go with a solid color and a red strip. Or a red wire with a stripe indicating different power circuits

gudjeon
06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Starting from scratch, I ran rear wiring under the galvy capping so it won't corrode or get dissolved when I fill the chassis with gunk.:thumb-up:

scott
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
www.riwire.com (http://www.riwire.com) has all color, with and without tracers by the foot. conectors too. but i just bought a rear harness taped it to the old harness and pull it into the frame while pulling out the old. i also ran a cord with it cuz i'm planning on running an 8 or even a 4 red to the rear so that i can put a heavy duty 12v outlet from the 2nd bat. it should be able to handle a winch or one of those no one can borrow jumper cables (one end has the big clampy things the other has the HD 12v plug)

mongoswede
07-01-2010, 02:25 PM
if you want a stock looking rear harness with all the proper wire colors and connectors you can order one from http://www.autosparks.co.uk/. The prices were reasonable, shipping is fast, and good quality for an original replical harness. My series III is just going to get a Painless wiring kit.

SeriesShorty
07-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I hope to be starting tomorrow night once I've made a decision.

On a side note, does anyone know what the AUX stud is for on a universal headlight switch???

Terrys
07-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I'd recommend jacketed 14-4 cable.

You need 5 conductors from the engine bay to the rear crossmember :
1. Tail Lights
2. Brake Lights
3. Reverse lights
4. Right Turn Signal
5. Left Turn Signal.

3 of the 5 Tee to both sides

The schematics for S2A, and S3 are on the RN electrical parts page. The colors are shown also. U is blue in British schematics, and N is brown. Where two letters are shown, the first is the prime wire color and the 2nd is the tracer. i.e. UY is a Blue wire with Yellow Tracer, WO is a white wire with orange tracer. Pretty straight forward.

SafeAirOne
07-01-2010, 07:36 PM
You need 5 conductors from the engine bay to the rear crossmember :

I'm gonna guess that her 66 ex-MoD doesn't care much about the reverse lamp wiring... ;)

SeriesShorty
07-01-2010, 07:51 PM
hehe no reverse indeed. But that 5th wire will be used for a work lamp instead. :)

Gonna start physically laying out my headlight harness now. :cool:

SeriesShorty
07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I have been at it since friday after work until it's too dark to see. But this thing is finally coming together. I must have learned something after all of my crazy posts because once I got out there with the strippers in hand it all just came so natural.

I ended up finding a set of elevator hoistway wiring from work, 14 gauge, bundled, with 8 numbered wires. PERFECT! Very easily yanked them through the frame and just went to it.

The entire rear harness is completed, with 2 loose wires for a work lamp and 12v waterproof power source. At the front, I've got it all wire loomed up through the dash, with a branch heading out and ready to attach to a new brake light switch (my old one had a terminal fall off!).

I built a new dash panel that houses the new headlamp switch, ignition switch, 3 toggles, speedo, and 2 waterproof 12v power sources. There is room for 3 small 1 1/2" gauges in the near future.

I started wiring up the dash goodies and have half of the headlamp harness built. Hoping mother nature, and my mental health, holds up enough today to do a little more.

Now I need to figure out how to mount this damn alternator and order my damn starter already!

Thanks for everyones help, I'm sure I'll be back once I get into the hazards and turn signals.

Have a good 4th everyone!