PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized Bulkhead - Dealing with Zinced up Hinge

amcordo
07-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone!

The hinges on the bulkhead that attach to the window flaps on the front (just below the windshield) are filled with zinc. I can only get drill in a bit because of the angle. Any suggestions as to how I can clear those out?

Linus Tremaine
07-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Flexible drill extensions. I have seen a home made one used on a bulkhead. I am pretty sure you can buy one off the shelf at the store though.

crankin
07-02-2010, 10:43 AM
That was a great area on mine to figure out what to do...
I started out drilling the best that I could do so that i could at least have a solid hole all the way through....then ran a chain saw file in and filed the zinc away.

HybridIIA
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Check out the site below. Someone made a nice site describing the galvanizing process for his bulkhead. Check out the photos at the bottom of "bulkhead swap" page, they show a homemade flex drill bit.
http://gottdenerdesigns.com/bulkheadswap1.html

Leslie
07-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I drilled mine out, using my flex-dremel end.

lrdukdog
07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
In the drill set I got from Sears there is a flexible arrachemnt for drilling 90 degree angles. It works very well. I believe they sell it seperatly as well.
Jim Wolf

jp-
07-05-2010, 10:20 AM
No need for special drill bits here. Very easy. Buy a long 3/16" Self drilling fastener with a 5/16" hex head. Put a flexible 5/16" driver on your favorite cordless drill and bam!

If you are worried about the threads of the fastener damaging the hinge, just sand them off, so you are only using the drill tip of the fastener.