PDA

View Full Version : New/Bad Fuel Pump

SGS714
07-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Truck started running poorly and we decided it was fuel pump related and bought a new pump with sediment bowl. Bolted it up and drove it home from the shop i have been working with. The 2A ran great for the 5 mile ride home and parked. Went to pull out of garage this morning and started perfect and backed out and died. I'm new to wrenching but have troubleshot to the new fuel pump. No gas in the line after pump when cranking motor or priming and pleanty of gas flow in line when taking line off pump intake. Thus bad fuel pump. Is there anything I am missing here or should look at before calling vendor with another DOA new product?

Keep in mind I have only owned this truck for 6 weeks and maybe I have to high of expectations for these new parts. First DOA was a replacement gas tank without the seems pressed and welded.....didn't figure out till after install and 3 gal of gas ran out the bottom. I am getting a little fustrated with the quaility of these new parts. Truck is new to me and the thought of bad new parts is beyond my understanding. Now in all fairness, I must say the 25 other parts we have installed have worked fine.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Lalo88DK
07-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Rust-flakes and dirt have been known to block the feed-pipe in the fuel tank, it's worth a try to check it, before you call the dealer.
Or maybe a collapsed fuel line, also seen before, although not visible when looking at it from the out side.

Some non original parts for Land Rovers are not the best quality, just like any other non original parts for any other car-brand.

yorker
07-06-2010, 09:30 AM
I've hearsd of other DOA fuel pumps recently, on some of the UK boards. Maybe there was a bad run out there. Whatever vendor you purchased it from should know. With vehicles this old and having been out of production for this long this is bound to happen once in a while and probably with some increasing regularity.

SGS714
07-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I've hearsd of other DOA fuel pumps recently, on some of the UK boards. Maybe there was a bad run out there. Whatever vendor you purchased it from should know. With vehicles this old and having been out of production for this long this is bound to happen once in a while and probably with some increasing regularity.

Vendor indicated that it was very unusual for them to have a bad one....and ofcourse they were very apologetic.

gudjeon
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Saving face. It is not unusual. Even for other classic auto's. That's why most guys who run old classics run an electric inline as the diaphragms dry out and crack after sitting for while

TedW
07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
..and want to take my mechanical pump off I will just need to make a blanking plate and put it on where the pump was, right?

gudjeon
07-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Blanking plate made from some plate. Thickness doesn't really matter as long as it won't warp once torqued down. I made my gasket based on the original one. Blocked off, it works just fine. Could be ugly and square, the engine won't mind.:thumb-up:

TedW
07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Blanking plate made from some plate. Thickness doesn't really matter as long as it won't warp once torqued down. I made my gasket based on the original one. Blocked off, it works just fine. Could be ugly and square, the engine won't mind.:thumb-up:

Awesome - I have 3/16" plate that I use for just about everything. No warpage with that stuff!

SGS714
07-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I have also ordered the electronic pump that TedW installed. Plan on using it as a back up in case I have trouble again.
I try to not let the same match burn me twice.