PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hope I didn't make my life heck!

albersj51
07-04-2010, 12:44 AM
So I'm in the driveway replacing the drive flange gasket (added a little gasket maker or good measure) and felt seal. Pulling everything apart and the truck rolls back maybe an inch (buddy didn't butt the chock against the wheel all the way). When I pry the flange the half shaft comes with. So I slide it back in and button it up. I pushed the shaft back in until it (sounded like) connected and would not turn by hand.

Does it sound like I got the half shaft lined up correctly? Cotter pin went in fine and so did everything else. Before I totally button it up and change the fluid I want to make sure i won't tear up the axle.

Thanks for the help and input!

J

albersj51
07-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Here is a pic of what I hope is the finished product. Not sure if you can tell whether or not the half shaft is in properly by the pic, but it cant hurt!

Thanks!

J

Mercedesrover
07-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Yup, you're in. The axle is either in the spider gear or it's not.

If the age of your axles is unknown you may want to consider changing them soon. In my opinion and experience Series axles are a wear item and should be changed every 20k miles or so.

LaneRover
07-04-2010, 09:27 AM
So I'm in the driveway replacing the drive flange gasket (added a little gasket maker or good measure) and felt seal. Pulling everything apart and the truck rolls back maybe an inch (buddy didn't butt the chock against the wheel all the way). When I pry the flange the half shaft comes with. So I slide it back in and button it up. I pushed the shaft back in until it (sounded like) connected and would not turn by hand.

Does it sound like I got the half shaft lined up correctly? Cotter pin went in fine and so did everything else. Before I totally button it up and change the fluid I want to make sure i won't tear up the axle.

Thanks for the help and input!

J

Well, you own a Rover so your life is Heck - but a wonderful heck. But I agree that your fine and its in. So life isn't currently hell.

msggunny
07-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Is it me or is there something funny about the lug nuts in that picture.

Backwards? Studs not long enough?

mongoswede
07-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Here is a pic of what I hope is the finished product. Not sure if you can tell whether or not the half shaft is in properly by the pic, but it cant hurt!

Thanks!

J

I concur...certainly looks like your wheel bolts are screwed on backwards. The tapered end usually goes towards the wheel to help center the wheel.

albersj51
07-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks a million, Gents!

Good eye! Never noticed the lugs before. I'll change those around this afternoon

adkrover
07-04-2010, 11:09 AM
The lugnuts on my truck are tapered on both ends so those may be just fine. I first wrote that my nuts were tapered on both ends but didn't want to be the butt of any jokes.

albersj51
07-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Darn! That would have been easy pickin's! :D

yorker
07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
217361 was the early 15/16ths lug nut- used up to ca. 1967 and they were tapered on both ends. http://www.rovahfarm.com/images/217361.png:thumb-up: They were used with the screw in studs 561590, IIRC when you replace the screw in studs with the later IIa press in ones 561886 they end up being shorter unless they are countersunk(?). It has been a while since I fooled around with doing that so I might be wrong.

Double sided (Ser II, IIA to ‘67) 217361

15/16” (Ser IIA, ‘67 & ‘68) 561254

1-1/16” ( ‘69 thru mid ‘71) 57613

Metric (‘71 through present) RRD500010

Whenever someone used to Series III's or coilers sees those early lug nuts they usually think you've done something wrong to your IIa. :D