PDA

View Full Version : VERY Hot Metal in the Driver and Passenger Area

amcordo
07-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Just used the rover for a parade. The metal was so hot that I honestly think you could burn yourself on the bulkhead. Is that normal? Should I be concerned?

albersj51
07-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Was it a particular part of the bulkhead or the entire thing?

jac04
07-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Pretty normal, especially anywhere near the exhaust, or if you have a 'shin burner' type heater without the coolant valve shut off.

printjunky
07-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Has anyone ever tried some of that heat wrap, to move the heat a little further back (if that would even work)?

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/index.php

jac04
07-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I've never tried anything on the Rover, but I've made quite a few custom heat sheilds for my old WRX that was equipped with a Prodrive Stage 3 PowerPack. The concept is the same no matter what the vehicle. For radiant heat, I utilized stainless sheet to make double-wall shields with about 3/16" between the sheets. It's a relatively simple concept, but making the shields is very time consuming if you want them to look somewhat professional. Use cardboard and manilla folders to make templates & tweak them to fit before cutting any metal.

There are also many products made by companies like Thermo-Tec that could be applied directly to the bulkhead. I found that these products were very expensive, but would certainly be the simplest route to go.

Terrys
07-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Rovers are hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and wet all year 'round. Having a chevy V8 is only going to make it hotter.

msggunny
07-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Has anyone ever tried some of that heat wrap, to move the heat a little further back (if that would even work)?

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/index.php

I used header wrap on my header and some strap on heat shields on the exhaust where it runs under the drivers side (RHD)

It made a noticeable difference when i was in costal NC. I took the header wrap off a little while ago, and i can tell the difference but now that i live in Maine i dont mind it so much.....

LaneRover
07-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Rovers are hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and wet all year 'round. Having a chevy V8 is only going to make it hotter.

Ya but then you get 2-75 air conditioning and not just 2-60 air conditioning.

Terrys
07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Ya but then you get 2-75 air conditioning and not just 2-60 air conditioning.
The closest thing to a new Series that I've had was a '71 I bought in '72, and I can tell you without hesitation, I would not want to be doing 75 in a series truck.

gudjeon
07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Speeding down hill on those old metal roller skates comes to mind....:eek:

LR Max
07-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I got tired of that crap as well. I wrapped my exhaust manifold in exhaust wrap and installed the exhaust manifold shield. It reduced the inside temperature from "OMG MY LEGS IS ON FIRE AND MY SKIN IS MELTING" to marginally bearable.

Next I'm going to try wrapping the downpipe, see what that does and a lot of the exhaust. Might even try to rig up a heat shield on the downpipe as well.

amcordo
07-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm really looking forward to a few years from now when I take out the 8 cylinder. I'll have to remember to do all this heat shielding stuff you folks are raving about.

thixon
07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm really looking forward to a few years from now when I take out the 8 cylinder. I'll have to remember to do all this heat shielding stuff you folks are raving about.

Taking it out and going to what? Back with a 2.25? Don't do it man!!!!!

amcordo
07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Taking it out and going to what? Back with a 2.25? Don't do it man!!!!!

Heck no! Vortec 3500 i5! Perfect fit, inline 5 with exhaust manifolds coming out the passenger side. About as simple a fit you can get with a modern engine.

It'll be more reliable, use less gas, and I'll reduce the heat about a million folder over the giant engine in there now.

thixon
07-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Heck no! Vortec 3500 i5! Perfect fit, inline 5 with exhaust manifolds coming out the passenger side. About as simple a fit you can get with a modern engine.

It'll be more reliable, use less gas, and I'll reduce the heat about a million folder over the giant engine in there now.

Whew, that sounds a lot better! I was worried for a brief second.

LR Max
07-07-2010, 08:08 AM

Why would you want that engine? I used to drive a Colorado and it was GUTLESS. The S-10 V6 had more oomph than that craptacular lump of crap.

Disengage and go with an LQ4. Cheap, powerful, efficient (well, as efficient as you can get with 350hp!).