PDA

View Full Version : Roof drip-rail question

John O from Jersey
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi folks,

My current 88" roof aluminum is in great shape but the drip rail is badly rusted. I had a spare banged up roof w/ a decent drip-rail. Since I was going galvanizing anyway, I took that drip rail along. Much to my chagrin, it came out perfect. (I was hoping it would warp so I would have an excuse not to try this PITA job).

Now my question: If I remove the old drip rail from my current roof, can I expect the rivet holes in my roof to line up perfectly with the drip rail from another roof??

I'd love to hear from someone who mated a roof to a drip rail from another roof, possibly from another year, to ease my mind before I go slicing rivets off.

Thanks as always.

JO

scott
07-08-2010, 09:41 PM
dudes, i can't believe ya let this one slide. it's so easy, here let me start...

JO, of course they will, like a glove, provided the rails were drill and riveted on by the same guy, same day of the week and that he had the same number of beers the night before doing each of them...

gambrinus
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
If you own a drill, you'll be fine.

RW

greenmeanie
07-08-2010, 11:40 PM
When I redid my roof I used 3M8115 panel adhesive in the joint between the roof panel and drip rail. Even if you find some of the rivets go in a bit loose this will ensure they stay there and also ensure a strong, leak free joint. I used screws through the rivet holes to give alignment and clamping force quickly and then pulled them out and replaced them with the rivets.

John O from Jersey
07-08-2010, 11:45 PM
LOL - yeah - I had that coming.

I was kind of hoping these parts were made separately from templates. If they're glued together then drilled and riveted at the factory, I'm screwed. Not really willing to drill a bunch of new holes if the existing ones don't line up. Guess if they don't, I could always haul the crappy rail down to my galvanizer for another round. Oh, how I love the smell of molten zinc in the morning.....

jo