PDA

View Full Version : What speed in what gear/range Series IIa Lightweight

MI3GTO
07-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Can anyone suggest what road speed you can expect as a "safe" limit for each gear in both high and low range 2/4?

What sort of max road speed can you expect in 4th high 2wd on a petrol engine and what sort of rpm do you expect the engine to be pulling.

Sorry for the basic question but I am trying to get something else sorted in me head so need a basic understanding of common achievement with owners of similar lightweights.

Thanks. George:confused:

Tim Smith
07-12-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure about the lower gears but I have pushed my lightweight near 70 in fourth high, without the overdrive. I don't like to over run it at those speeds though because the drive line is so loose that I'm afraid something will respond unexpectedly. It will sound like Armageddon but believe it or not, the engine won't be turning as quickly as you think. I have forgotten the actual numbers but I am pretty sure the motor never topped 4000 rpm.

I'd say a safe limit for fourth high is about 65. After that you will really want to put an overdrive in for extended speeds.

Also do yourself a favor and change the transmission, transfer case, third member fluids and service your U-joints with quality stuff if you want to do much highway driving. You would be amazed how much noise is just coming out of the machine shop.

MI3GTO
07-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks Tim :thumb-up:

I was thinking a max around 55-60 mph was practical for highway driving. I may fit a rev counter temporary to see what is going on with the engine.

scott
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
ya'd think ya never have reason to find top speed in low range but i did. blew up thr rear diff, couldn't get it out of low range, drove home and in 4th gear i almost broke 30 mph