PDA

View Full Version : Metal Flakes in Rodchester

SGS714
07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
We have a Rodchester carb that must be peeling small aluminum flakes that end up in the bowl and then get sucked up into the needle and causes engine to miss. This is over time...2 tanks of gas getting better. New tank, lines, filter, and pump so it must be comming off the carb somewhere...could just be funk of sometype. Very tiny 1/32 or so flat illregular shapes, in a light color that are intact but break apart when you try to isolate one to remove. This carb was soaked in a parts cleaning tank for hours and fully rebuilt by very capable mechanic..(I don't do carb work)..he has never seen this before. We are almost to the point of buying new carb.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

LaneRover
07-10-2010, 08:14 AM
We have a Rodchester carb that must be peeling small aluminum flakes that end up in the bowl and then get sucked up into the needle and causes engine to miss. This is over time...2 tanks of gas getting better. New tank, lines, filter, and pump so it must be comming off the carb somewhere...could just be funk of sometype. Very tiny 1/32 or so flat illregular shapes, in a light color that are intact but break apart when you try to isolate one to remove. This carb was soaked in a parts cleaning tank for hours and fully rebuilt by very capable mechanic..(I don't do carb work)..he has never seen this before. We are almost to the point of buying new carb.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Any chance it is from the fuel pump?

I find it strange that the small pieces are breaking up when you try to remove it. Are you sure it is aluminum?

SafeAirOne
07-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Is there a fuel filter between the pump and the carb? This is a pretty good way to eliminate everything upstream.

SGS714
07-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Any chance it is from the fuel pump?

I find it strange that the small pieces are breaking up when you try to remove it. Are you sure it is aluminum?

I am on my 3rd fuel pump. First one replaced because of issue mentioned, 2nd one lasted 4.5mi, 3rd one currently in truck. No not sure it is aluminum...just can't tell....might be light grey looking build up of some type.

Is there a fuel filter between the pump and the carb? This is a pretty good way to eliminate everything upstream.

Yes, on 2nd one.

I might add...installled new KN Filter and thing that attatches it to the carb.

Appreciate it....Keep your thoughts comming.

Tim Smith
07-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Crazy thought here but has the truck had lead additive added to the tank and then sat for some time? I wonder if lead or some other additive can congeal in the lines with these new fuels.

SGS714
07-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Crazy thought here but has the truck had lead additive added to the tank and then sat for some time? I wonder if lead or some other additive can congeal in the lines with these new fuels.

Not that crazy....makes sense. I have cleaned the bowl again and drove about 100mi and the engine only bogged a couple of times on the highway last weekend, but not bad enough to hinder the trip or warrant taking to top of the carb off yet to check. Now this morning it didn't want to start, ussually just turn the key and it fires right up, but gave it choke and it sputtered and started and ran fine.

Hopefully the issue has ran it's course.

Tim Smith
07-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Using the choke *might* be helping to suck junk through the jets.

If you get stuck out on the road with it running poorly, you might try
the farmers trick of revving the motor and then putting your hand over
the top of the carb quickly. The vacuum created should help suck some
dirt through the jets if that is the problem. Of course it could also
wedge the dirt even tighter into the jets so YMMV.