PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Felt washers

crankin
07-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Is there a trick to get the felt washers to fit in nicely? I am in the process of replacing my handbrake and I am having a booger of a time getting the felt washers to slide in nicely. I am almost thinking about throwing it up there and letting the washer squash in down...

jac04
07-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Which felt washers? The ones on either side of the handbrake cross shaft bushings or the ones on the end of the axles? I had no trouble with the handbrake shaft bushings, but I have found that some axle felt washers are very poor fitting. Maybe try a different source. They will all stick out a little and need to be crushed down by the washer.

SafeAirOne
07-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I suspect it's the felt seal that goes on the splined output shaft, under the propshaft flange wahser and nut.

Mine was tough to fit too, but once it started I could kind of force it down with the nut and washer. It seems to get compressed by the nut and washer somewhat once in place, causing it to fatten, making a seal (at least mine appeared to).

crankin
07-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Yeah, its the one on the hand brake. I didn't have a problem with the ones on the axles...

I guess I just need to work with them.

jac04
07-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Yeah, you need to put them in and make sure they stay aligned when it all goes together. I remember that mine 'extruded' out past the retainers a little when eveything was tightened up.