PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Questions

Bostonian1976
03-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Hey all,

I decided to take on my flickering headlights yesterday on my '67. They were doing something strange - the headlights would go out, the left side marker would go bright, the right side marker would go out and the right side FLASHER would come on! (not flashing). A few bangs on the hood would bring them back. More recently the problem got worse. While opening the hood, I heard a slight "zzzt" Turns out that the "breakfast" wasn't grounded and was causing the issue. So anyway..these are fixed.

Of course, then I had to tear my dash apart. I have aftermarket VDO gauges near the steering wheel (water temp that doesn't work, and oil pressure that shoots past 80 whenever the engine is on), and the original gauge cluster of fuel/water temp and speedometer. My fuel gauge has always gone to full and stayed there, and water temp doesn't work on that cluster at all due to the aforementioned redundant water temp. gauge.

So I have several questions.

One - are the VDO's going to be compatible w/ the Rover senders that are on the truck? Could that be my issue right there? The water temp wire runs from VDO to the block sensor correctly, but not a hint of movement on that gauge.

The oil pressure gauge runs but it shoots past 80 psi the second the ignition is turned on. It has a brown wire running to the sensor on top of the oil filter, and there is another wire that runs off of that same sensor that looks like a ground, but that wire is dangling. If I ground that wire, the gauge only shoots to over 80 psi when the engine is running (vs. ignition on), but there is a funny click when starting the truck so I leave it disconnected.

As for the fuel gauge, it seems I may have somehow fixed it yesterday? It showed a 3/4 tank for the first time since I've had the truck. I went and filled it up and it went back to full! First time I've ever seen it work.

What I'd really like to see happen is for my original water temp gauge (completely disconnected) work and maybe find an original Smiths oil press/water temp gauge if you guys know where to get one (if you think the VDO gauges won't work). What a battle this is!

Here are the gauges...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/medium/127-2717_IMG.JPG

Jim-ME
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
I got my dual oil pressure/temperature gauge at British Pacific. I found 2 different ones at PA Blanchard. You might also try Trevor at RovahFarm.com. Although he doesn't list them he may be able to get one. Make sure you get the oil line that doesn't come with it. They aren't inexpensive but I really like mine.
Jim

CliftonRover
03-13-2007, 01:35 AM
If you can't figure out the oil gauge, I just use a small aftermarket one. I use all mechanical gauges that way there is no confusion with senders and such. The gauge has a small oil line about the thickness of a wire that runs down to where I plumbed it in above the oil filter. I used a T junction to keep the oil pressue warning light sensor. The gauge runs at about 40-60 psi on my Tdi

Bostonian1976
03-13-2007, 07:28 AM
oil pressure light sender? such luxuries :p

I have no working warning lights....and the only visible one that I do have is the "charge" light (doesn't come on though)