PDA

View Full Version : Pertronix timing Questions

vkjar
07-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Ok so I have installed a pertronix flamethrower ingnition into my S11a. all connected correctly.

I have followed the supplied instructions and I just want to make sure I get the timing set correctly as I now cannot get the engine running. first time setting timing!

So I have set the engine to TDC, the rotor points to cylinder #1.
in the instructions is says to have the cap contact lining up with the rotor and cylinder #1.

Should the cap contact be at the center of the rotor contact?

at the first attempt to start, the truck turned over and had a nasty back fired . readjusted distributor CCW so the rotor contact was on the forward side of the rotor. was this the right way to go? engine turns over but does not catch.

been trying to find some related info on timing but most deal with adjusting points.

Some advice would be great. Cheers

just a note: prior to doing the install the truck was running smooth.

mongoswede
07-11-2010, 10:51 AM
are your wires connected in the right order?

jac04
07-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Here's what I did when I installed the Pertonix and re-installed the distributor on the engine:
-Line up everything for #1 cylinder as you described with the cap contact in the center of the rotor. Just barely tighten the clamp, so you can still move the distributor with a little force.
- Mark the distributor body & clamp with a sharpie as a reference for your starting point.
- Try starting it. If it doesn't start, turn the distributor several degrees in one direction & try again.
- If that doesn't work, try turning several degrees in the other direction.

You should be able to get to a point where you can start it, even it it runs rough. Once running, 'fine tune' the timing by ear until it smooths out. Then go out and drive it and adjust base timing as required so that you just start to get a little bit of pinging when loading the engine at lower rpms (like pulling a decent grade in 4th gear).

vkjar
07-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Mongo yup the wires are all in the right firing order I installed them individually in the firing order. but will give them a second look over.

Thanks Jac, I will give that a try.

vkjar
07-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Ok so double checked everything and wireing is correct, rechecked connections, etc

Jac I did as you stated with no luck. So I started over.

Set engine to TDC. with rotor pointing to Cyl #1.
adjusted cap so that rotor is at center of the #1 Cyl cap contact.

tried again and it just turned over, adjusted CCW same, CW if I go to far it begins to backfire.

when it turns over all I am getting is sputtering from the carb.

not sure what else I am missing

jac04
07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Silly question. Are you sure you are at TDC of the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke?

vkjar
07-11-2010, 10:55 PM
that I will have to check. I assume it would be adjusted 180 from its position at the moment if it was.

although before replacing the old dizzy I set it to TDC with the rotor set to cyl#1. removed it and installed the new one in the same position as per the instructions.

something to look at in the morning.

thixon
07-12-2010, 07:38 AM
What you're describing sounds like you're 180 out. It'll backfire like a howitzer if you try and start it that way. You're on the right track, just set you're wires at the cap to adjust as if your 180 out and test it.

vkjar
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Ya that was it, thanks guys for all the help. She purrrs like a kitten now.

thanks again

jac04
07-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Glad we could help!!
It's always nice when it's something simple that's wrong.

yetiSIII
07-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Just a question, I'm planning on checking my timing on my sIII, it has the pertronix, what degree TDC are you setting at?

HinFL
07-13-2010, 08:11 AM
I had a mechanic friend help me install mine last month and he set it at 6°ATDC and all is well. Actually, it is a huge improvement over Lucas' original points and condenser model! For info, I have 2.25 petrol with 8:1 compression, Weber 34ICH and use premium unleaded fuel.
I am very new to Series Rovers, but hope that helps.

stomper
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
HinFl, if what you have works, that is great, but most people I have talked with recommend running these old beasts with Regular gasoline, not premium. While you would need to re-adjust your timing again, you may see better results. :thumb-up:

Nium
07-13-2010, 12:53 PM
I had a mechanic friend help me install mine last month and he set it at 6°ATDC and all is well. Actually, it is a huge improvement over Lucas' original points and condenser model! For info, I have 2.25 petrol with 8:1 compression, Weber 34ICH and use premium unleaded fuel.
I am very new to Series Rovers, but hope that helps.

As stomper had stated you will probably see better results with the lowest octane non-ethanol added fuel you can find. The higher the octane rating the more detonation resistant the fuel is. Race cars run a very high octane because of a very high compression ratio which leads to pre-ignition on low octane fuels. IMHO super or premium fuels in a rover are usually a waste of money, but of course if through trial and error you've found premium to work the best for you to prevent pinking well then there you go. :thumb-up:

Link explaining octane rating systems and the such.
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/RONMONPON.html (http://www.btinternet.com/%7Emadmole/Reference/RONMONPON.html)

Andrew IIA
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
My 2.25 (8:1 head, pertronix ignition, happily burning low-octane fuel) is set at 6 deg. BTDC.

YMMV :)

usadventureracing
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Does anyone have a part number pertronix ignition, I would like to order one for my 2.25, does it matter that I do not know what head I have 8:1 or 7:1? thanks

jac04
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
^^ There is an application guide on the Pertronix web site.

Lord Icon
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
I have also just changed this rover out to pointless ignition. I upgraded this time and bought the whole dizzy and the kit all at the same time . BP was the seller... Our hosts do not sell it , as far as I know. Funny, they sent me the dizzy complete with points installed, and the kit taped on top....?... They said the pertronix dizz was crap and fell apart in about a year, so don't buy the pertronix dizz ,
Easyest conversion ever , This is my second one.
Cheers.

Lord Icon
07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
It's an LU143 , very hard to install, might take you all of 5 min....

albersj51
07-13-2010, 05:24 PM
I think it depends on your Dizzy...mine is a 25D, which uses PN: LU-142A. If its a 45D I believe Lord Icon is right, LU-143. You can tell your Dizzy by (in my case cleaning the housing and then...) looking at the housing, it should be stamped on it.

kevkon
07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
I have also just changed this rover out to pointless ignition. I upgraded this time and bought the whole dizzy and the kit all at the same time . BP was the seller... Our hosts do not sell it , as far as I know. Funny, they sent me the dizzy complete with points installed, and the kit taped on top....?... They said the pertronix dizz was crap and fell apart in about a year, so don't buy the pertronix dizz ,
Easyest conversion ever , This is my second one.
Cheers.

Anyone out there running the Pertronix distributor have a problem with it's quality?

vkjar
07-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Just a question, I'm planning on checking my timing on my sIII, it has the pertronix, what degree TDC are you setting at?

well for mine I have it set at TDC and it seems (to the ear) to run nice and smooth around town. I may re-adjust if that changes.

jac04
07-13-2010, 10:16 PM
It's an LU143 , very hard to install, might take you all of 5 min....
Not necessarily, according to the Pertonix application book.

To the OP: Use the application guide, and not what people tell you:
http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/ptx/2010/Pertronix2010.pdf