PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replaced selector fork seals in a IIA?

tmckeon88
07-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi all -

I recently replaced the clutch in my '69 IIA 88" (during a stretch of 95 degree heat here in Northampton, MA) and in doing so got up close and personal with my transmission, which is a rebuilt unit I got from RN in 1996. It is leaking oil, surprise, surprise, especially from where the selector rods emerge from the top of the transmission and go to the gearshift lever base. Has anyone replaced these? Is it a huge job to get at them? I can see taking the top cover off, but do the selector rods themselves have to come out to fit the seals over them? Any other seals and gaskets I should know about?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

JimCT
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
gear oil is pretty cheap. I do not think LR ever thought their trucks would be surgically clean. A bit of a leak here and there is just part of the breed.

jac04
07-14-2010, 09:09 PM
The selector shaft seals are known for leaking a little more than "bit". The green bible covers replacing the seals, which requires removal of the forks from the selector shafts. Make sure to install the new seals the correct way. Now, I have heard that the new seals will leak almost as badly as the old ones. My rebuilt trans from RN leaked like crazy from the selector shaft seals starting within the first 50 miles of driving.

However, the seals can be replaced in place if you install a home-made split seal. Most people say to use a piece of 5/8" heater hose to make the new seal. I tried 5/8" heater hose and found that the hose was much too big to shove into the seal bore. I ended up using some PCV hose that I had around from the last WRX I owned and it worked great. Still just a hint of a leak, but at least oil isn't pouring down the sides of the trans like it was before.