PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the steering wheel

2manykids4a7
07-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Having searched previous posts I'm pretty sure that after removal of the top nut I should just be able to pull the steering wheel off my series III, and the reason that I can't right now is that it needs to soak in PB blaster for the next 3 months!! However I couldn't find any pictures so I thought I'd check beforehand to make sure that I'm not missing anything.

So here's where I am right now, any suggestions to help me get the wheel off?

Thanks, Steve..

Moose
07-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I've always found that if a grasp the wheel at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and work it from side to side, the wheel will eventually pop off. But, a word of advice. Leave the nut on a couple threads. When the wheel releases, you can easily smash it right into your face. Heard one fellow broke his nose years ago when this happened.

Brett

Nium
07-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I think I ended up tieing a 2 bolt puller bar across the top of the steering wheel to pull it off. Lay the puller bar across the horn opening and use some rope routed around the steering wheel spokes to secure the wheel to it. Tighten the puller bolt to get it to come off. I used bolts into the horn contact/dust cover to secure the steering wheel to the puller at first but when I pulled the threads right out of the horn contact/dust cover (ended up buying a new one) I found the rope to be less damaging to the steering wheel

Puller at Sears
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916233000P?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=

Didn't end up with a broken nose either! :D

printjunky
07-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Second Moose, just wiggled mine side to side. Tiny increments. Eventually it comes off.

2manykids4a7
07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Thanks everybody. Using the method described by Moose the wheel is now off and my nose is unbroken.