PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case woes..

gallf1
07-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi:
Just replaced my rear driveshaft on my 1971 109. I think I placed the T-case in neutral before I did so that I could spin the output flange and thus get to all of the bolts.

Now, no matter how I cycle the t-case shift levers, I cant get it to engage in either 2wd or 4wd....is it stuck in neutral?

I jacked up the rear end and spun the shaft around and such but no luck!
Help please...Thx

alaskajosh
07-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Have you tried jostling the car back and forth a little as you try to engage the Tcase? Maybe with a little clutch and de-clutch at the same time to help move those engaging gears around some. I could imagine you un-alligning the teeth by just enough as you turned the drive flange.

Hope that advice isn't too basic... but it's hard to think what else it could be for no more than you did to it.
Good luck, Josh

Terrys
07-18-2010, 04:20 PM
The lever sometimes fouls with the floor board, so getting back into high range can be a pain, but I can't imagine why you can't pull it far enough back to get into low range. Have you looked at the linkage, the ball & socket and the bottom of the lever?

gallf1
07-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Thx Josh..I have the rear end totaly off of the ground and I am spinning the rear drive shaft by hand to see if that does anyhting (it didnt). My next step might be to take off the top cover plate and see if anything is moving between the transmission and the T-case....
I rally hope to avoid doing that and hope someone knows what is going on????
Thx

gallf1
07-18-2010, 04:22 PM
THAT I didnt try.....perhaps when I am cycling the levers it doesnt really go all the way into 4-lo and thus back to 2-hi?

Thx

gallf1
07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Update...
Broken mainshaft inside the tranny...time to tear it down...thx