PDA

View Full Version : Fusible Links - where to put 'em?

SeriesShorty
07-18-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm about 3/4 done with the complete rewiring of my truck. Just gotta finish up the ignition and charging systems.

The scoop: 12 circuit Painless style wiring harness. Adding rear work lamp and rear 12v accessory plug. Adding Hella 500's up front (relay), new horn (relay), electric fuel pump (relay). Also have two 12v accessory plugs on the front dash. Delco 10si alternator and a British Starter high ratio starter (solenoid bypassed to use a remote Ford style solenoid). Using electronic distributor as well. New headlamps with relay for hi and low beam.

The wiring harness/fuse block kit came with a fusible link to mount at the battery to the fuse block.

Where else would you guys recommend a fusible link to be added based on my specs? Better safe than sorry! ;)

thixon
07-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Just to make certain we're speaking the same language, when you say fusible link, you are talking about a piece of wire and not some type in line fuse device...correct?

If so, based on what you described the only place you will really need it is in between the power wire from the battery and the fuse block. IIRC painless requires there to be one otherwise the warranty on the harness is voided. The other devices you described (I assume) will be run on one the 12 circuits on your new harness, which are all fused separately at the block.

Mercedesrover
07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Fusible links are the most retarded thing ever invented.

Put a 75 or 100 amp mega fuse between the battery and the fuse box.
Like Thixon said, just wire your accessories to ports in your fuse box...that's what it's for.

thixon
07-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Fusible links are the most retarded thing ever invented.

Put a 75 or 100 amp mega fuse between the battery and the fuse box.
Like Thixon said, just wire your accessories to ports in your fuse box...that's what it's for.

X2 on the retarded comment.

greenmeanie
07-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Fusible link - isn't that Land Rover's little joke name for their wire harness?

SeriesShorty
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah, it's the little wire thing they want to splice in for your warranty. I've been seeing a lot of diagrams also showing them coming off the alternator so it got me overthinking. Even MadElectrical has lots of pics with a hot junction and fusible links all over the place, but I understand now...they weren't on their own fused line.

All of my accessories have their own spot on the fuse block so all is cool there. I'll just consider them not needed in my case since everything is already fused. :thumb-up:

But don't worry, I'll be back with tons of questions about the charging and ignitions circuits soon enough. ;)

Thanks again for all the wisdom!