PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Leak Help

LR Max
07-19-2010, 01:27 PM
So I'm pretty certain I've got an exhaust leak at the header/cyl head connection. So I gotta pull all that off and put on a new gasket :mad:.

I know its not the manifold-to-downpipe connection. Already checked that and its good.

While I'm in there, I thought I'd put some sealant on the gasket to help prevent leaks in the future. Any suggestions on what to use? I kinda guess RTV isn't stout enough to deal with the extreme temps. Also I'd like to request it be something that can be procured at a generic auto parts store. I need to get this thing fixed ASAP.

Thanks for any help.

mongoswede
07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Pull the intake/exhaust manifold off of the engine. It would be a good idea to have a new intake/exhaust gasket handy in case yours falls apart when it comes off.

-Seperate the two manifolds
-clean all mating surfaces of old gasket material and/or corrosion
-If you want to use some sealant with the new gasket look for the high temp copper rtv sealant. (copper good to 700 deg F)

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/Gaskets/14348.jpg

clean all your hardware and reassemble.

LR Max
07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a new gasket. Should be here on Wednesday :thumb-up:.

I'll pick up some copper sealant. Any other uses for said copper sealant? I figure I'd like to get more than one use out of this tube.