PDA

View Full Version : Series III: Fuel leak at carb fuel inlet

LC_rover
07-19-2010, 05:21 PM
The brass nipple on the my Weber carb, that serves as the fuel inlet, popped out somehow. Poured gas all over the engine. No fire thank goodness.

In my efforts to pull the nipple out of the fuel line, I marred it slightly, and that actually helped when reinserting it into the carb, so as to keep it snug. However, its still dripping slightly. I tied a rag around it to get home, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting this seated and sealed properly.
JB weld? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Terrys
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Pull it back out and tap it for a 1/8" pipe thread. be sure to get all the metal filings out or they will plug up the little strainer.

jac04
07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
You can also replace the carb fairly cheap. IIRC, the 34ICH is $149 from webercarbsdirect.com. Or ask them about replacement parts.

Tim Smith
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
I had this happen on a different car many moons ago while I was traveling. The best I could come up with to get it home was to take a piece of wood as a buffer and tap the nipple back into place. The wood (hopefully not hardwood) will deform around the nipple and save it from getting bent.

That fix worked and I never had a problem after. YMMV.

gudjeon
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Had this happen on more than one make of carbs. Tap in like above but I used a small smear of JB Weld or metallic type epoxy (just a tiny amount). Never has thought of popping out again after that.:thumb-up:

TedW
07-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Tap in like above but I used a small smear of JB Weld or metallic type epoxy (just a tiny amount). Never has thought of popping out again after that.:thumb-up:

JB Weld is your friend.

I used it to attach that intake ring on the top of the Weber carb that always gets loose.

Also used it to plug a rust-through pinhole leak in my rear diff cover.

Stuff is awesome.

Just remember to perform proper prep first.

crankin
07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Had this happen on more than one make of carbs. Tap in like above but I used a small smear of JB Weld or metallic type epoxy (just a tiny amount). Never has thought of popping out again after that.:thumb-up:

+1...
This also caused me to place a fire extinguisher in the cab.